Fold Camera

archery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear forum,

I've recently come across a vintage fold camera that I'm struggling to identify. It looks very muck like a Merkel Minerva but I cannot be sure. I've contacted an expert for a small charge re ID and value but haven't had a response. I've posted the photos to a flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69497336@N02/sets/

Should you not be able to read the writing on the lens part it is as follows:

COMPUR

and the inner lens:

Laack Rathenow 112939 Anastigamt Pololyt 1:4,5 F - 13.5 cm

There is also a serial number DRP No 258646 DRGM and the number 9973 inscribed on the front wood case.

Everything seems to function and there is a string for the shutter device and an ill fitting case. I also note a bracket is missing from the front right edge.

Apologies for my ignorance and thank you in advance for any input.

John

Do you mean the Gazelle Tropical 9*12 cm? It seems to fit the specs re Compur shutter and pololyt lens. Any advice as to value and where to sell it?

John
It looks like it is Gazelle. I would suggest you should ask guys from Film And Darkroom User forum about this camera. Someone might be even interested in buying it.

Hm, not much help from friends from FADU, the tread was closed after one respond and that was the best chance. No wonder I hang here.

Of course they closed the thread.

The OP does not appear to be a vintage camera collector or film photo enthusiast wishing to keep or use the camera or to be involved in film photography in some way.

He/she appears to be yet another person hoping to mooch some free advice from real enthusiasts so they can make a buck selling off an old camera they found.

Q.E.D.:
Any advice as to value and where to sell it?

There's nothing wrong with making a buck but there are appropriate and inappropriate places and ways to do it.

The OP does not appear to be a vintage camera collector or film photo enthusiast wishing to keep or use the camera or to be involved in film photography in some way.

He/she appears to be yet another person hoping to mooch some free advice from real enthusiasts so they can make a buck selling off an old camera they found.

Q.E.D.:

Better that than it rotting in an attic, at least if an enthusiast buys it it will be cared for and maybe used.

Q.E.D.:

There's nothing wrong with making a buck but there are appropriate and inappropriate places and ways to do it.

John by the way therefore one would normally assume a he. No I'm not an enthusiast and no I do not wish to keep it. I am wishing to mooch some advice (mooch by definition implies no cost/free), the kind of advice I give on a daily/weekly basis on computer forums for people having problems.

I'm not too sure how many 'real enthusiasts' there are on this forum as the response has hardly been riveting. Not that it matters as I have obtained the help I required from elsewhere and for those interested it is here:

Fold Camera Identification, ?Laack - Photo.net Large Format Forum

Timor, thank you for your input and Raven, yes I quite agree that it is far better than it rotting in an attic.

In addition, if you'd read the thread you would have noted that I had tried to pay for said advice with no success, making your post all the more rude and misinformed.

^ Rude? Maybe. But your identical thread was locked on another forum presumably for the same reason while you were at least tolerated here.

Misinformed? Hardly, as you have just confirmed your mooching agenda here.

But, in any case .......... buh bye!

It was posted on the film and dark room forum based on advice from here, you clearly don't learn from your mistakes, read the threads. In addition the thread from that forum was not locked, it was closed as the answer was perfectly adequate. Finally there is no mooching agenda, I'd requested paid for help with identification, valuation and an ebay advert here:

Antique and Classic Cameras

I find it hard to believe given your attitude in this thread that your tolerated here but clearly you are, I hope your 1830 posts are not as nonsensical as the ones here.

No need to bother with an apology.

Good day.

I have to partially agree with that, however I don't find the answer of FADU particularly good. I was hoping for a bit more than just pointing to a dealer.

Last edited:
The general consensus seems to be that proffering information for the benefit of another party is frowned upon. Is vintage camera knowledge so prized that this is an acceptable attitude? I wouldn't mind but this forum thread has not been particularly helpful and it's a forum, participation is a choice. Should members find any monetary gain of mine an insult to their sensibilities; take recourse that their information will ensure adequate description of the camera and ownership by a suitable enthusiast.

Maybe I need to reconsider the help I give on the PC support forum and tell them they're 'mooching' and to go to PC world for ill informed paid for advice. No, wait, I enjoy solving their problems and giving advice, an attitude I'd have expected from a forum called 'collectors corner'.

I have to partially agree with that, however I don't find the answer of FADU particularly good. I was hoping for a bit more than just pointing to a dealer.

Having been unsuccessful on 2 forums in obtaining information about the camera I posted here and got a pretty thorough response (for your own interest and education):

Fold Camera Identification, ?Laack - Photo.net Large Format Forum

Thanks John for the link. One more for history of photography "study".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back