Food Photography, First Foray (four photos)

Love the last one, makes me want my Mom's tomato sauce!

W.Smith said:
If it were presented on a nicely made-up plate in a tasteful table setting with beautiful china, cutlery, a glass of wine and a candle, I might be persuaded.
Now it's 'just' not-yet-ready food in a pan/on a grill.

Personally, I believe the process of making food is just as beautiful as the end result, though I can understand your opinin. I did not intend for these to be the type of food shots that would appear in menus for a restaurant, rather an artistic documenting of the preparation of food. Also, I don't have any nice china ;)

Hfry said:
Props. But............ 3 is the only Appealing one... take them into photoshop and Play with the Contrast and Brightness.. This is my own opinion.

Though I do not mind criticism, I implore that reason is given alongside it. Why are 1, 2, and 4 unappealing? What about no. 3 makes you think it needs 'contrast and brightness' work? (I also much prefer using curves and dudge/burn, because of the much higher level of control it offers) Thank you for your comment, but without any reasons given behind it, it loses usefulness. I did not mean for this to sound as harsh as I'm sure it came out, but I do not feel that I need the validation of every member. If you like it, tell me. If you don't tell me why.

mmmm the last one looks delicious... so who's going to invite me for a dinner?

Great images. I love the contrast of the colour in the fourth.

Good to see these images. I need soem ideas as I am shooting photos for an aspiring chef's portfolio soon.

Joey, #4 is the best, I think--the colors are great!

When are you coming to DC again? We all need to hook up..it'll be a few weeks before the whole gang is back on its feet, but I'll keep you posted.

Core-E, Phillips is only a so-so resto. Come down to DC and I'll take you to some decent places (but bring your checkbook, cuz I promise it won't be cheap--but it'll be cheap enough).

jocose said:
Joey, #4 is the best, I think--the colors are great!

When are you coming to DC again? We all need to hook up..it'll be a few weeks before the whole gang is back on its feet, but I'll keep you posted.

Core-E, Phillips is only a so-so resto. Come down to DC and I'll take you to some decent places (but bring your checkbook, cuz I promise it won't be cheap--but it'll be cheap enough).

Well, Joe is taking me to Phillips because I told him I've never eaten crabs before....so he says I need to try it while in Baltimore. :)

I'll actually be on the east coast again (see sig) soon....but no time for DC. :( I wish though.

core_17 said:
Well, Joe is taking me to Phillips because I told him I've never eaten crabs before....so he says I need to try it while in Baltimore. :)

I'll actually be on the east coast again (see sig) soon....but no time for DC. :( I wish though.

Joe's gonna get you crabs????

Phillips is a good first foray, but there are better and cheaper places. I can ask around if you'd like, but it's not like Phillips sucks, so you'll be fine.

all nice shots, I like 2 the most for the angle of the shot and the tight crop

I was noticing the menu at a local Chilis resturant lately , food photography is a BIG deal...!!! I know a lot of it is fake food and the water pours are acrylic moulds, but still they put a lot of effort into those darn pics to make me soooo hungry !!!

what does one stuff an eggplant with? what is that white stuff? The rest of them make my mouth water... as does all this talk of brownies... :drool:

I could see #3 in a grilling cookbook. great pov/perspective on that one. :thumbup:

I know this is kind of an old entry but, good job :) I'm not fond of the first, but the rest look great. :)

Making me hungry too :thumbup: great photos :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back