What's new

Footprints in the snow

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
1,637
Reaction score
904
Location
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And spring is tomorrow ? :sexywink:

The view from my house towards the road...

FootprintsinthesnowCustom_zps9e035cd4.jpg


Cheers, Don
 
I like the photo but it looks slightly under exposed to me. The snow appears gray to me yet the sun is high.
 
I like the POV ...underexposed about 2 stops, also straighten it up as it leans a little to the left. Easy shop fix.
 
I'm not sure that I agree with the thought that it is underexposed. Doesn't it depend on what you are exposing for here? The sky looks like it is exposed correctly. Look at the clouds they are not blown out and they are white. I do agree that the snow isn't white but, he would have to HDR this in order to expose properly for both the sky and the snow/bushes or blow out the sky to expose for the snow.

If I'm wrong please correct me. ;)
 
You might not be wrong but we can't edit it to try anything so...
 
I like the photo but it looks slightly under exposed to me. The snow appears gray to me yet the sun is high.

Thank you, see below...

I like the POV ...underexposed about 2 stops, also straighten it up as it leans a little to the left. Easy shop fix.

Thanks, that is the lay of the land and I believe the slight slope is accentuated by the snow bank on the right being closer and higher.

I'm not sure that I agree with the thought that it is underexposed. Doesn't it depend on what you are exposing for here? The sky looks like it is exposed correctly. Look at the clouds they are not blown out and they are white. I do agree that the snow isn't white but, he would have to HDR this in order to expose properly for both the sky and the snow/bushes or blow out the sky to expose for the snow.

If I'm wrong please correct me. ;)

It is underexposed John,

I'm running a trial version of DXO Pro and my intent was to maintain as much detail in the snow as possible in a single shot.

Having said that, I did process the image during the day while my monitors are calibrated for night viewing and the color did change slightly when playing with the highlights and levels.

Perhaps this is closer...

Footprintsinthesnow_DxOCustom_zps1824c25a.jpg


And this is a quick edit with Adobe Elements 9...

FootprintsElementsCustom_zpsca266d8f.jpg


Cheers, Don
 
LOL

Gotta love Photobucket, one is still a bit grey and one is a bit blue :)

For the heck of it, this is processed with Olympus Studio 2 software...

FootprintsStudioCustom_zpscff3a2e3.jpg


Cheers, Don
 
Last edited:
Out of curiosity how underexposed was it? I don't have a calibrated monitor but, your edited version really doesn't look like you made a huge change. I would have guessed, so I'm probably wrong, that is couldn't have been edited more than a half a stop?

Oh! BTW I don't like it. SNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I joke of course!:Joker:
 
The original shot was @ -.3 John, in aperture mode and the metering was set to ESP or multi segment where the camera measures 49 points.

Focus was on the middle bar, far right side so it would have picked up the contrast from the bushes there.

On my monitor the last one edited with the Olympus software is the truest...

Cheers, Don
 
The original shot was @ -.3 John, in aperture mode and the metering was set to ESP or multi segment where the camera measures 49 points.

Focus was on the middle bar, far right side so it would have picked up the contrast from the bushes there.

On my monitor the last one edited with the Olympus software is the truest...

Cheers, Don

Don.. May I post an edit to show John the difference?
 
I see picture also underexposed a little bit, and with colorpicker i couldn't get white on snow part, when pointing on sun or some parts of cloud i get white or near white color. I have that kind of problem when i try to shoot pictures similar like this, either goes little underexposed or sun and clouds get blown up. If you would talk about this i would like to get to know how is possible to make a picture correctly without hdr.
 
The original shot was @ -.3 John, in aperture mode and the metering was set to ESP or multi segment where the camera measures 49 points.

Focus was on the middle bar, far right side so it would have picked up the contrast from the bushes there.

On my monitor the last one edited with the Olympus software is the truest...

Cheers, Don

Don.. May I post an edit to show John the difference?

Go for it Charlie :)

I see picture also underexposed a little bit, and with colorpicker i couldn't get white on snow part, when pointing on sun or some parts of cloud i get white or near white color. I have that kind of problem when i try to shoot pictures similar like this, either goes little underexposed or sun and clouds get blown up. If you would talk about this i would like to get to know how is possible to make a picture correctly without hdr.

O Boy, books have been written about this :)

As you found out, using the color picker on images like this produces widely varying effects because there are so many shades of "white". At some point you have to rely on the histogram and/or a hand meter for capture and then your eyes and a calibrated monitor while processing.

Or, shoot bracketed shots and blend them. While technically a HDR it doesn't have to be overdone and most cameras nowadays can do it in camera.

Perhaps Charlie can speak to this :)

I spend most of my time in the studio or chasing birds, he, he...

BTW, this is the histogram from the raw..

Drivewayhistogram_zps9b63920e.jpg


Cheers, Don
 
Thanks Don...

about 1 3/4 stops over all... do lose a little bit in the highlights... I dropped the brightness down a bit after a curves adjustment, as it was a little too bright.

$Footprintsinthesnoweditcombined.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison Charlie. I can tell the difference with them both stacked like that. I never would have guessed 1 3/4 stops underexposed however, your edit looks to me like you brought up the exposure even further than Don did. Either way, in both your's and Don's edits, it does not look like you clipped the clouds which is what I would have thought would have occurred when bringing up the exposure as much as you both did. Thank you for the help and correction.
 
Thanks for the comparison Charlie. I can tell the difference with them both stacked like that. I never would have guessed 1 3/4 stops underexposed however, your edit looks to me like you brought up the exposure even further than Don did. Either way, in both your's and Don's edits, it does not look like you clipped the clouds which is what I would have thought would have occurred when bringing up the exposure as much as you both did. Thank you for the help and correction.

I selectively brightened just the foreground, or the sky and clouds would have been very "clipped"! lol!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom