Eclectix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few more wild birds from May and June. Comments and critiques always welcome:

A huge congress of ravens (not crows) circling in the evening sky. I've never seen so many ravens in one place before (this was just a small cluster out of the whole congress). It was eerie how silently they flew:
$___MG_2453b 1000p.jpg

One of my favorite birds, the red-wing blackbird performing his display call:
$___MG_5529 1000p.jpg

Northern flicker woodpeckers fighting over a post, striking a very zen pose:
$___MG_5634 1000p.jpg

Another Swainson's hawk. This is one of a pair of Swainson's I've been watching nest since April. It is not the same pair as the one I posted about previously:
$___MG_5979 1000p.jpg

A great blue heron catching a brook trout. I have several shots of this encounter but I think this one is the best of the bunch:
$___MG_6769 1000p.jpg

And to wrap things up, a broad-tailed hummingbird:
$___MG_8387 1000p.jpg

Thanks! I came very close to missing that shot. I had taken my teenage daughter out photographing that morning and I was intently focused on the Swainson's hawks, moving into a better position to capture them. My daughter saw the woodpeckers while I was looking up at the tree and tried to signal for me to stop since I was walking right towards them, but I was oblivious to her as well at that point. So she did what any good photographer would do and started photographing them before I scared them away! I heard her shutter clicking and looked to see what she was photographing, and just did a mental facepalm before I started clicking away as well. So, I suppose the credit for that shot should really go to her!

I really enjoy the blue heron catching a fish! "Action" always makes things interesting!

Most reactions

Back