For the Price of a Mark III & lenses

brunerww

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is a ProRes video sample from the Super 35 sensor 4K Blackmagic Production Camera. Blackmagic guru and camera tester Captain Hook (of Captain Hook LUT fame) took it out on a music video shoot as the "B" cam to a RED MX.

The director liked the images so much that the BMPC was promoted to the "A" cam.

Hollywood quality home movies for $3995 - the price of a Canon 5D Mark III with a couple of lenses:

[video=vimeo;82269515]http://vimeo.com/82269515[/video]​

I can't wait to see RAW from this camera.

I find myself looking around my little studio thinking, "how many of these cameras would I need to sell to scrape together four thousand bucks?" :)

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Every time I get tempted into buying or renting the BMCC I remember that the upfront cost is cheap because the money you spend on the backend buying battery packs, lenses, rigs, and SSDs adds up quickly. I'd love to buy the Blackmagic if it didn't require $2000 in accessories just to use the darn thing

The IQ is amazing though

It might not be necessary to spend that much to get cinematic RAW. It cost me less than $550 to get my $995 Pocket Cinema Camera ready to shoot - for a total price about the same price as a crop frame DSLR with a couple of lenses:

View attachment 62628

$130 for a Sandisk Exteme Pro 64GB
$229 for a Rode Videomic Pro ($80 Azden SMX-10 pictured)
$20 for a P&C pistol grip
$20 for an LCD hood
$17 for a loupe to wrap inside the hood (see "Poor Man's LCDVF Solution")
$100 for a Nikon 35mm f2.8 lens and adapter (Konica 40mm f1.8 pictured)
$30 for 2 extra batteries

I have gotten very nice, steady handheld results with this setup.

I haven't spent the time to put together a similar "poor man's" list for the BMCC, but my guess is that it can done for something less than $2000 :)

Cheers and best of the holidays,

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah but the pocket camera uses batteries similar to DSLR batteries and it doesn't require an SSD. Plus it's much more ergonomic meaning it's better for run and gun.

My friend bought it and it's pretty neat, but the bigger version just doesn't have the was of use that the pocket camera does. Plus, a 128GB SSD gets you less than an hour of footage, and that's with the 2.5K camera

If they released the pocket camera with a better battery and in EF mount I would be sold. Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back