For those who know... Nikon 80-200 Push Pull Worth $400?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There's one for sale locally and I don't know much about this lens since my recent research has been on the newer version and the Sigma version.

$400 seems pretty attractive, but if the lens is a big failure then well, not so much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I had a f/2.8 last summer, sold it on eBay for $595.00. Don't know what they are going for now.

I liked the lens while I had it, just didn't like the size of the lens, but the glass was nice.

it will depend on the condition of the lens

i asked my dealer recently about the value of mine as i am thinking of selling it, and they told me between 500-600 dollars.

I've owned a couple of the very first 80-200 AF one-touch models--the pre-D model,both of them. The AF isn't super-fast on consumer bodies, but is faster on the D1 and D2 series bodies with their higher-torque motors. There was a D-capable one with one ring for zoom and focus as well, made beginning in 1992 I think.

This lens design is not quite as good as more recent lenses; the design is approaching 20 years old now, and there is some CA at the longer end of the focusing range, mostly noted when strong backlight meets silhouetted objects (tree branches, telephone wires) or really strong backlight,like outdoor lighting with an indoors person in front of it.

This lens has a couple things as pluses--it weighs almost a full POUND LESS than an 80-200 AF-S model...and it has no tripod ring on it...it was designed as a HAND-held telephoto zoom. Tripod mounts of the "sled" style are available from RRS and Kirk Enterprises. It has the fewest elements of any 80-200 or 70-200, plus ED glass, and it is pretty darned good when shooting right toward bright light sources; check the Pelican sign in this gallery. These images are going on eight years old now,and are pretty minimally processed.
80-200 AF-ED One-Touch samples Photo Gallery by Derrel at pbase.com

The one ring makes it a very fast,handy lens for manually focusing and zooming, but you must flip the AF/M switch to shift modes. For $400, it gives a lot of positives. I'm serious about the 15 and 3/4 ounce weight difference between this and the last 80-200 AF-S model. Consider that an 85mm f/1.8 AF-D is around four bills now--this has 80,105,135,150,200,all in one tube.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone... sounds like it might be a decent value for a consumer lens if the condition is good.

I really appreciate all the info and history - whether I get it or not I enjoy learning about them just the same.

-Chris

+1 to what Derrel said...

Even if you don't like it, you oughta be able to resell it for $400 or more.

Forgot to mention that the Nikon lens is T - O - N - S better built than is the Sigma (I have had both the Sigma APO and the Nikon lenses), and you can just hold it to feel the difference.

+1 to what Derrel said...

Even if you don't like it, you oughta be able to resell it for $400 or more.

Forgot to mention that the Nikon lens is T - O - N - S better built than is the Sigma (I have had both the Sigma APO and the Nikon lenses), and you can just hold it to feel the difference.

+1 and +2...lol

Sounds like it's worth a go... if only I could find a buyer for my 18-250.

Sounds like it's worth a go... if only I could find a buyer for my 18-250.

Tried Craigslist? That's where I sold my Nikon 18-200. It was sold in like four days.

Yeah, trying now... thanks for the reminder :D

Still considering the new 80-200 f/2.8, I feel like this is a lens that will be with me for a long, long time.

Yeah, trying now... thanks for the reminder :D

Still considering the new 80-200 f/2.8, I feel like this is a lens that will be with me for a long, long time.

If you're anything like me, a fast high quality 70-200 or 80-200 will become your new lover. My 70-200mm f/2.8G is the best toy I've ever purchased. Photography or not.

:thumbup: You'll love it. My 80-200 two ring was definitely my finest photography-related purchase. Be prepared for the weight, I was kinda shocked. Par for the course with an f/2.8 zoom tele though.

Congrats on the 80-200. I've had mine for about 45 days...and I don't think I've removed it from the camera yet. Once you have the fast/constant 2.8 you'll never go back!

Most reactions

Back