For you bw film developers...

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know these types of questions get asked alot, but there isnt really a thread that i could find that answered what I wanted to know. Is there any BW RC (multicontrast) that you recommend? Something that has good tonal range would be the best, but I'm not sure how much that will differ. I use either TMAX or Tri-X films, mostly Tri-X though (if there is another film that you would recommend also, that would be appreciated), and i'll probably get pearl for the finish. Here is one i've looked at: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=5816 . anyone used this? I'm still getting used to this 'film thing', so bear with me :)

It's all personal choice.
I never liked resin coated - had a realy 'plastic' feel, to my mind. I found Ilford to be the least offensive.
Used fibre for choice. Again Ilford - comes in multigrade.
I would advise against using any paper finish other than gloss as it cuts down the tonal range of your print.

Ilford is great. I've also used Arista and Arista.EDU with good results. Look for the Arista that is "manufactured in England". That's just plain label Ilford.

thanks for the replies guys. I was going to get gloss, but the fact that it attracted dust and fingerprints so easily kind of threw me off...

Hertz van Rental said:
It's all personal choice.
I never liked resin coated - had a realy 'plastic' feel, to my mind. I found Ilford to be the least offensive.
Used fibre for choice. Again Ilford - comes in multigrade.
I would advise against using any paper finish other than gloss as it cuts down the tonal range of your print.

I also prefer glossy FB, but if I'm going to use RC I think that pearl RC looks a lot more like glossy FB than glossy RC. Glossy RC is too much for most of my photos. I save it for the rock star pics; it's ultra shiny and plastic looking.

ksmattfish said:
I also prefer glossy FB, but if I'm going to use RC I think that pearl RC looks a lot more like glossy FB than glossy RC. Glossy RC is too much for most of my photos. I save it for the rock star pics; it's ultra shiny and plastic looking.
I just tend to steer clear of RC full stop. I think it all looks like plastic but the glossy is the least offensive.
Glossy RC is supposedly equivalent to a glazed FB print. But I prefer unglazed FB too. You loose a little in the tonal scale but it's worth it as glazing prints is a pain in the bum.

Hertz van Rental said:
I think it all looks like plastic

John Sexton once said something along the lines of "RC is like vinyl, and FB is like leather." ;)

like everybody said, i prefer fb too, however the class im currently taking will only allow us to use rc. which sucks. oh well though, ive used kodaks rc with good results, but could be alot better. i just ordered a box of the arista from freestyle this morning, so when i get it next week ill let you know how it does :D

303villain said:
however the class im currently taking will only allow us to use rc. which sucks.

Is that because they only have one printwasher?

I've researched alternatives to purchasing a print washer, because mine can only handle up to 11x14. I needed something for the 16x20 prints, but I just had a hard time spending what they want for a big printwasher. There is a lot of information on the web about people washing their FB prints by soaking them in trays of clean water. Change the water every 5 min, for an hour. Check later with hypo-check. Re-wash if neccessary. It works and it uses less water than a constantly running printwasher.

ksmattfish said:
Is that because they only have one printwasher?

no, unfortunately the class im taking right now, im taking just for the use of the darkroom, i coulnt get into any of the other classes i needed(damn prerequisites!) so its a very very basic photography class(of which ive taken several of already) and the teacher simply wants us to use rc instead of fiber. i think im going to have a chat with him and see if he'll let me use fiber instead. i dont see why he woudnt, he's letting me use 120 instead of 35mm... :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back