format card from two camera bodies

ann

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
usually i am very careful about using the same card in two different camera bodies, but alas and alack even the best intention can go astray.

Is there anyway to accomplish a "full wipe" with just one body, or it is just important to insert card into each camera body?

It seems as if there are different folders for each type, but it seems the folder remains (without image).

I was testing some bodies and lenses the other day and the card shows each camera body, and even when formating the card i can't seem to get back to the recommended number of images available on the card.

hope this makes sense.

:grumpy:

The answer is yes. The procedure depends on what camera you have. Your manual will definitely have the answer for you.

thanks jerry,

heaven forbid i look at the manual :lmao:

one would hope a d700 could do this since it can practically go to the moon.

D700... press and hold the MODE and DELETE buttons togther for 2 seconds until the word FORMAT appears and flashes in the top LCD. Release the 2 buttons, then press and immediately release them again AT THE SAME TIME... wait 2-3 seconds... Bob's your uncle.

You could do this same thing from the menu. I'll let you read the manual for that... it is something you SHOULD do always. ;)

(thats kind of an embarrassing question to ask being a D700 owner and not really "beyond the basics"... lol)

Last edited:
Is there anyway to accomplish a "full wipe" with just one body, or it is just important to insert card into each camera body?

It seems as if there are different folders for each type, but it seems the folder remains (without image).
I have this issue with a couple of different cameras and cards also. The folder of one remains when in the other. I was goinig to go to the root directory of the card and delete the empty folders and then reformat, but I really don't consider it too much of an issue.

(thats kind of an embarrassing question to ask being a D700 owner and not really "beyond the basics"... lol)
Unnecessary dude. The only bad question is the one not asked.

Last edited:
I have this issue with a couple of different cameras and cards also. The folder of one remains when in the other. I was goinig to go to the root directory of the card and delete the empty folders and then reformat.

On Nikon cameras, this is a simple safety feature so that you don't delete shots taken with your (for example) D200 when reusing the card on your D700. The method I outlined wipes all folders on the card.

Unnecessary dude. The only bad question is the one not asked.

A little necessary. That question really was a beginner question EASILY answered with a 10 second look through the manual's index. That is about how long it took me to find it the first time (2nd day I had the camera), at least. I bet it took longer to type the question than to find the answer. :)

Last edited:
i was testing the d700, d300 and my old trusty d100,

no decision yet on what will replace the 100, but there is always the online manual.
which i did forget

Even faster, the PDF document from Nikon... makes searches a breeze. They keep manuals in PDF format online for most everything going back as far as the 70s. :)

ok,

i realized i did know how to format a card, i usually just use the menu function, not the method jerry recommended. (which i did, before posting)

however, the files from a fuji s9100 won't go away, unless i use the fuji camera and even then a folder remains .

so it seems for what ever reason, the format is camera specific.

I guess what I don't understand here is with the cheap price of memory, why not dedicated cards for dedicated bodies? No fuss no muss.

i would agree, however, it was an accident, at least for the fuji vs nikon.

but with the testing, i just took along one card; with the thought of testing out three lenses with the camera bodies as an after thought.

i thought perhaps there was a secret hand shake that would allow one to format the entire card in one body, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

\

Did you ensure you had Quick format selected?

That is unusual... I can set it up so that I boot from my 8GB Extreme IV so the CF card contains Read Only, System and Hidden files yet the format in the manner that I outlined wipes it clean. I would love to know what Fuji is doing to it's files that the Nikon full format cannot remove them.

don't know what to say, but it isn't happening, and i really do know how to format a card.

so, i just formated the card in the fuji and then in the nikon.

with the card with the various bodies, i will just take with me the next time i go into my shop and use the "correct body".

thanks for the assistance.

In the end as long as you know what the solution is, it doesn't matter what card you place in what camera. :)

Most reactions

Back