frames

ignorante

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!
english is not my language so please forget my mistakes.....
what is the best frame for a photo? I really do not like frames but I would like to hear how do you put a photo in a way that frame does not make the photo seem "jailed" :wink:

I have shown a lot of work just behind the matt and glass. I have recently been using black round. I think it gives a more finished look.

Frames can take on a life of their own. A lot of the times it works. Sometimes it distracts from the photo. It really depends on the image or images. It can also get real expensive. If you go the fancy route try homemade first.

Ok, this might not be the nicest thing to say but here goes. People spend lots of $$$ on cameras, flashes, film, memory cards, and very nice printing. The photos turn out great and they can be wonderful prints and wall displays. Then they do something stupid and buy a CHEAP frame, something plastic or even the clip frames, YUCK! If you have a good photo and you want to display it properly, go to a custom frame shop and have it done right. Spend the money on it, and you will be surprised on how a great frame will actually complement your print. It is not uncommon for myself to drop 125-200 or more American dollars on a frame for a 16x20, but they end up looking like a million bucks.

Also, buy the good glass. Something with UV protection. I have been using what is called a UV non-glare plexi lately at the frame shop that I go to. It is near museum quality glass and when you look at the prints it looks like there is no glass at all, and if for some awful reason the print falls off the wall, plexi doesnt break, thus not scratching your print.

If you spend descent money on your equipment and processing, why would you get cheap on a frame to display it?

He specifically stated that he did not like frames. Just like I don't like porcelain angels sitting around on my mantle (although I have friends who will pay $200 for the darn things), he doesn't like frames.

Also, a print that you intend to keep or display long term should be mounted and placed under UV glass, but a short term display wouldn't warrant spending $100 plus for a frame.

For a short time display I agree that not too much money should be put into it, say if you are displaying items for sale or what not. I just think a frame can make or break a print though. If you are going to keep it, do it up nice.

I think a plain black frame about 3/4" Thick looks good especially with black nd white photographs.

Thanks for your answers
I sometimes would like to put the pic in the air floating with nothing around:wink:
I think the paper put behind is important about its color.....white is surely the best (?) and no paper is ok .....
I put a photo pressed to the glass by a transparent paper that architects use to make drawings. then I pressed it only on the borders with a thin piece of cardboard and it looks fine.
I have seen some pics holding with some special hook to a simple glass with no frame at all.......but there it is necessary to make a tiny hole in the glass to insert the "nail-"

Most reactions

Back