Framing dilemma with tiny prints

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm making a series of prints that will be displayed and (hopefully) sold as a group. There are a dozen prints, which I plan to make in wallet size, mat, and put in 4x6 frames. My idea is that they will be tiny windows into the world pictured in the photos, and I think 4x6 inch prints in 5x7 frames will be too big for what I'm trying to convey. However, I'm having a problem finding anywhere online that sells precut 4x6 mats with 2.5x3.5 openings, and there are no local stores that sell precut mats in that size. So should I...

Make them 4x6 prints and put them in 5x7 frames?

Custom order a dozen mats in the size needed?

Not use mats, and simply frame them in tiny frames?

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cutting mattes is a simple process. You need a matte cutter tool and a good straightedge. Matte board is inexpensive. Once you develop the knack, you can become creative -- grouping two or three photos in one matte is no more difficult than matting a single print.

print in self-mat
mat is best color
can add sig
can use standard frames
from 1 foot away look like cut mat & costs nada

bensmfra20060325mbandbeda4.jpg

How did you visualize these photographs? What was your vision? Answer these for yourself, then decide on how you print them and what size.

Again, matt size is somewhat of vision choice. IMO, the photograph should stand on it's own and be evaluated on it's own and for that reason I always use a larger matt size for display purposes, I would go with a larger matt, 8x10 for 2.5x3.5, and 11x14 for 4x6 or 5x7. I also believe this makes smaller photographs more intimate.

Have your local frame shop make them or order custom matts online, you can have them cut to any size you want than the standard sizes as well.

Thanks for the ideas! These were some options I hadn't thought of.

JC1220, I agree that a photo should be able to stand on its own. I hope to frame these in a way that doesn't distract from the image content. Thinking about it now, perhaps I will display the photos as a set under a single name, but number and sell each one individually. I found some 8x10 mats with 2.5x3.5 windows, so I'm considering that with a skinny metal frame. That should help convey the intimate "window into a tiny world" that I'm going for.

Torus34, I've tried mat cutting once, briefly, and it was a disaster! I'd like to learn, and plan to invest in some better tools and give it an honest go, but I don't have the time or resources to do it before this project is due, unfortunately.

Traveler, have you tried this technique before? Where did you come up with the mat template? I've never seen it done that way, and I'm not sure I could make it look good.

I'm still figuring out what to do, so if anyone has anymore thoughts about it, please let me know. All I know for sure is that the images will be wallet sized and that they will be in frames!

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try! :thumbup:

As for selling as a group, or selling them in general... a nicely matted photograph is very attractive to buyers, I would give something like tier pricing, such as a price for any single photograph, a price for any 3, a price for any 6, and a price for the whole collection. Typically a small price break is given the more someone buys, but that is up to you. This way if someone likes 1, a few, or the whole collection you give them options.
Good luck with your show.

As for selling as a group, or selling them in general... a nicely matted photograph is very attractive to buyers, I would give something like tier pricing, such as a price for any single photograph, a price for any 3, a price for any 6, and a price for the whole collection. Typically a small price break is given the more someone buys, but that is up to you. This way if someone likes 1, a few, or the whole collection you give them options.
Good luck with your show.

That's a good idea, and that's probably what I'll do. It's always frustrating when I come across a set of something, but I only want a few, and the artist will only sell the whole set.

Thanks everyone for the replies. (And the luck!:) )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back