Free AF 35-105mm usable on Nikon D60?

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm getting a free AF 35-105 mm Nikkor lens. I know this model can't autofocus on the D60 but what about other aspects like exposure?

How well can you use an AF 35-105 on a D60? Is it possible to take decent pictures with it?

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a free AF 35-105 mm Nikkor lens. I know this model can't autofocus on the D60 but what about other aspects like exposure?

How well can you use an AF 35-105 on a D60? Is it possible to take decent pictures with it?

im sure it can take good pictures if you know how to manual focus :D
(i suck at manual focusing)

Hey everyone,

That lens will work on a D60 as manual focus only, like boog said.

Does your lens have a Macro Function, is it push-pull to focus, or just twist a ring to focus?

Take the lens if it is free, then sell it for $100.00 or so, and use that $$ towards a lens that you do want.

Last edited:
If it is in vgc with no issues, if it has a focus ring (if it is not push-pull to focus), if it has Macro - I might be interested...

Just thought of this, but it wouldn't happen to be AF-S, would it?

Actually he will get focus confirmation light so focusing may not be so hard. The lens will allow use of any mode (P,A,S, M). And have full metering. So, only drawback is you have to focus. It was never considered a stellar lens. But it was manufactured for a couple decades (with refinements in different versions). So, its a good basic lens.

I would not turn it down.

If it is in vgc with no issues, if it has a focus ring (if it is not push-pull to focus), if it has Macro - I might be interested...

If it were AF-S it would AF focus on his D60. ;)

If it were AF-S it would AF focus on his D60. ;)

Duh, I know that,

But I don't know if OP has ever even seen the lens, and if so, not sure he knows until I know him better. Just thought I would mention it in case they did not know. I assume nothing here on TPF anymore.

Just read any of the many posts here on TPF, where we see way too many people, like some even with a paying job the next day or week asking BASIC questions like what lenses will fit their camera, or what flash to use, or what equipment to use.

How many posts do you read here on TPF, honestly, telling yourself "this OP doesn't even have a clue"? But you don't answer, to be nice.

Or here on TPF, the definition of a pro seems to just be someone who charges $, like they don't even have to know their equipment, and many don't from what I can see. I was asked recently what my idea of a pro was, I answered with stuff about knowing your equipment and what you are doing, and got slammed for it. General concensus seemd to just be someone who got paid. Okay...

Seems like it is a common answer to how to fix a problem here on TPF to be buy a faster lens, even if the problem shown in image OP is asking about in first post in that thread is obviously caused by incorrect focus or lens movement while shutter is open.

Or the pro I saw at an event, hanging several nice 2.8 lenses around his belt by those little corded adhesive lens cap retainers - easier to change lenses quickly, he says as lenses are banging together, held by lens cap.

There are many noobies who have a D40/D60 and still don't know what type lens will work on their camera.

Many who don't know the differences in older lenses from ones "with or without tabs or "ears" (as many people will say)" to the newer AF, AF-D, AF-S lenses.

Not sure some of them even know difference between a Nikon mount and a Minolta or Canon. Or they cannot even spell "lense" or "Cannon"

I sell lenses on eBay, sometimes CL, after I have completely described a lens (and what it will and will not fit or work on) n the listing, you would be surprised how many poeple show up with a camera body that lens will not work on, or even fit on.

Other day I met someone to sell them an AF Nikkor lens, and he showed up with a D3000. I mentioned the lens required the camera to have a focusing motor in the camera body. He said that his camera did have one, that it was special order...

After I took a couple nice shots with his camera (manually focused of course) he insisted on buying the lens anyway, so I let him. Later, he called me, calling me all kind of names and cussing me out in some Asian language bc I had sold him a bad lens that would only take blurry pictures. He didn't even know that the lens would work just maually focus after I showed him how to.

So, here I just asked OP a simple question to clarify.

Just because one can afford a camera does not make them a photographer...

Sorry for the long answer, but seems I needed to explain why I asked it in the first place.

It was bought in 1992 so I'm pretty sure it's not. I would love it if it was AF-S...then it would make my life easier hehe. BUt 98% sure it's not. It was used on a film camera. That's all I know.

I haven't seen it yet because they haven't given it to me yet. My family can't be bothered to check the name of it either. They just told me AF 35-105mm...I think it might be Macro...but I'm not sure at all.

It was bought in 1992 so I'm pretty sure it's not. I would love it if it was AF-S...then it would make my life easier hehe. BUt 98% sure it's not. It was used on a film camera. That's all I know.

I haven't seen it yet because they haven't given it to me yet. My family can't be bothered to check the name of it either. They just told me AF 35-105mm...I think it might be Macro...but I'm not sure at all.

1992, isn't AF-S for sure, but I didn't know 1992 until just now. Coming from that era, will just be AF if it is autofocus. Probably says AF Nikkor somewhere on the lens if it is.

Easy to tell Macro, if so, there would be a little orange line with an orange "M", and a chrome lock button on the side of the lens.

Having a focus ring is more desirable than if it is only a push-pull to focus.

Once you know the actual Serial #, there is a website that you can go to to look up the time of the production run, #'s of the same lens made, and a photo of it, that sort of thing.

Still worth getting it, for sure!

Most reactions

Back