Free Wedding Disaster!

Oh don't get me wrong, I am very sympathetic towards the couple. Different story on here as I knew it was a bad idea. Before the wedding I advised against it so I am not going to say anything like I told you so. She knows they are screwed up and I can only imagine how that feels. I offered to try and help but I don't think the images can be salvaged for anything larger then a 4x6...maybe. She tried to have a 5x7 printed and it looked grainy.

She should pay someone to salvage what can be salvaged. 1900x1200 isn't the end of the world, it just won't survive going very big. If nothing else you can make some interesting collage from the results, which might well capture some of the feeling of the day.

Then she should pay someone to reshoot a couple important images. Get back into the clothes and do a couple portraits.

This.

If she really cares that is. Call it a hunch, but if she really stops to think about it, outside of a single bridal portrait she can put on the mantel (or more importantly on hubby's desk at work), most likely if she really thinks about it, she doesn't really really (really) care.

When salvaging underexposed, she may have to take the whole lot to b&w and use filters and increased contrast to make the noise look like "artsy film grain". 1900x1200 ain't a D800, but its more or less what my D1 had, I printed lots of 8x10's from it back in the dark ages.

D80 not D800....and it was on the small setting, I looked it up on Nikon's website the resolution matches exactly. Oh and looked at EXIF for the camera model.

This is EXACTLY the reason that I turned down an offer to shoot a friends wedding even before we mentioned money. I do not want any part of screwing up a moment in time like that. I gave him a suggestion for a photographer that we both know and told him that I would be glad to second for that person if they wanted me to help. (I'll gladly gain some experience that way.)

It's terribly easy to undervalue a skill when you don't know anything much about it (double so if the media and marketing are bombarding you daily with how "EASY" this skill is).

That said you could try to get some prints done after adjusting the files, though as said it might be hard to get them enlarged. If she still has the dress you could always agree to do some portrait photos or something just to tide things over (they won't be "wedding" photos but they will be something better )

its probably not a big deal anyway...we have something like a 50% divorce rate here in the US. im sure the second or third wedding will turn out much better.

its probably not a big deal anyway...we have something like a 50% divorce rate here in the US. im sure the second or third wedding will turn out much better.

If they're happily married, they don't really need the pictures to remind them.

And if they're not happily married, then they absolutely don't need the pictures to remind them.

Last edited:
#1: I would fault the photog for misrepresenting themselves as having even a basic understanding of camera settings (small jpegs!!). Everybody has to start somewhere, I know...but letting your ambition ruin someone's (first ;] ) wedding is immoral. I don't know if it was just nervousness, or overconfidence maybe...If it's THAT BAD, just shoot on green mode lol!
#2: How much emotional investment could the bride have had in the photography if they were unwilling to pay a dime for such a "special" moment? Having buyer's remorse just makes no sense when you weren't willing to pay in the first place.
#3: I think doing weddings for friends/family is perfectly acceptable given that both parties' expectations are in check. The client/friend has looked at the photog/friend's work, even if it's only a few un-wedding related shots. The photog is open about exactly how little experience they have, and any possible areas of weakness that there may be. They talk about the bare minimum that they want to accomplish (a shot at the altar, pics of each table, etc.). People get their starts from friends and family in all types of vocations...this one doesn't have to be any different. But this photog/client were not on the same page. Just my 200 cents!

She had seen her previous work and didn't have really high expectations. The biggest problem is the resolution. She was that type of person who just wanted snapshots essentially. These images are unusable for 4x6 prints in my opinion.

Lynch mob. It is the only way.

:biglaugh:

Seriously though I don't know what to say. I mean...she could sue her friend I guess if she didn't sign a contract but since it was a free job I'm not sure how that would go over.

Sue her for what? That is like you coming over to my house for dinner and I tell you I can't cook, but you eat it anyways. For FREE!

HAHA! Love it. And agree.

Now she doesn't know what to do because it is a friend...
She simply thanks the friend for the photos. Learns a lesson, and carries on with life.

Also agree.

Seriously though I don't know what to say. I mean...she could sue her friend I guess if she didn't sign a contract but since it was a free job I'm not sure how that would go over.

Sue her for what? That is like you coming over to my house for dinner and I tell you I can't cook, but you eat it anyways. For FREE!

That's what I'm saying.

She CAN sue her friend, but that doesn't mean that anything will come of it. Anybody can file a lawsuit for basically anything. Whether or not that lawsuit is legitimate and actually goes to court is a different matter.

is there a link to these photos?

She should pay someone to salvage what can be salvaged. 1900x1200 isn't the end of the world, it just won't survive going very big. If nothing else you can make some interesting collage from the results, which might well capture some of the feeling of the day.

Then she should pay someone to reshoot a couple important images. Get back into the clothes and do a couple portraits.

This.

If she really cares that is. Call it a hunch, but if she really stops to think about it, outside of a single bridal portrait she can put on the mantel (or more importantly on hubby's desk at work), most likely if she really thinks about it, she doesn't really really (really) care.

When salvaging underexposed, she may have to take the whole lot to b&w and use filters and increased contrast to make the noise look like "artsy film grain". 1900x1200 ain't a D800, but its more or less what my D1 had, I printed lots of 8x10's from it back in the dark ages.

D80 not D800....and it was on the small setting, I looked it up on Nikon's website the resolution matches exactly. Oh and looked at EXIF for the camera model.

Sorry, I didn't mean it literally wasn't a D800... I meant "while it's not 35MP..."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back