Fresh Meat!

killerseaguls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hey all, I'm not only new to this forum, but photography in general. I've recently purchased a Nikon d3300 as my first camera. It came with a 18-55mm lense. After doing research I've ordered a 35mm 1.8g lense as a prime. I've spent a good bit of time learning the camera and not using any auto modes. Finally I'm comfortable enough to use all setting confidently.

Any advice for a rookie? Could I get feedback on pictures that I've shot on here?

Much thanks

Attached are 2 pictures I took and played with.

View attachment 112198View attachment 112199 hey all, I'm not only new to this forum, but photography in general. I've recently purchased a Nikon d3300 as my first camera. It came with a 18-55mm lense. After doing research I've ordered a 35mm 1.8g lense as a prime. I've spent a good bit of time learning the camera and not using any auto modes. Finally I'm comfortable enough to use all setting confidently.

Any advice for a rookie? Could I get feedback on pictures that I've shot on here?

Much thanks

Great first attempts!

The first is a nice use of shutter speed. Well caught and the B&W helps with the droplet isolation. The second is a decent attempt except you missed the focus on the apple. Also, it's a little bit noisy (grainy). I'm not sure if you meant it but you can control that by lowering the ISO and leaving the shutter open longer (if you have a tripod or steady table). I'd try to keep the ISO down below 640/800 if possible. If you did mean it, good job- I do like the colors.

I'd use the 18-55mm lens for landscapes (probably f/8-f/11 is going to be the sharpest) and the 35 for portraits for best depth of field at f/1.8.

The D3300 will be a great entry for you into photography. Watch youtube videos (Mike Browne is one of my favorites) to get some more in-depth, easy to follow info.

View attachment 112198View attachment 112199 hey all, I'm not only new to this forum, but photography in general. I've recently purchased a Nikon d3300 as my first camera. It came with a 18-55mm lense. After doing research I've ordered a 35mm 1.8g lense as a prime. I've spent a good bit of time learning the camera and not using any auto modes. Finally I'm comfortable enough to use all setting confidently.

Much thanks

Great first attempts!

The first is a nice use of shutter speed. Well caught and the B&W helps with the droplet isolation. The second is a decent attempt except you missed the focus on the apple. Also, it's a little bit noisy (grainy). I'm not sure if you meant it but you can control that by lowering the ISO and leaving the shutter open longer (if you have a tripod or steady table). I'd try to keep the ISO down below 640/800 if possible. If you did mean it, good job- I do like the colors.

I'd use the 18-55mm lens for landscapes (probably f/8-f/11 is going to be the sharpest) and the 35 for portraits for best depth of field at f/1.8.

The D3300 will be a great entry for you into photography. Watch youtube videos (Mike Browne is one of my favorites) to get some more in-depth, easy to follow info.

Thanks for the advice! The second picture to be honest I wasn't sure what I was going for. I was reading on how to place items in a picture and as far as grain, I'll say it's probably over editing. Also the auto focus was being a pain and I didn't set the camera for my lack of vision to manually focus it. I'm learning that the light in my house sucks compared to natural light.

One thing you said that I haven't read is the correlation between sharpness and aperture settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much thanks

Great first attempts!

Thanks for the advice! The second picture to be honest I wasn't sure what I was going for. I was reading on how to place items in a picture and as far as grain, I'll say it's probably over editing. Also the auto focus was being a pain and I didn't set the camera for my lack of vision to manually focus it. I'm learning that the light in my house sucks compared to natural light.

One thing you said that I haven't read is the correlation between sharpness and aperture settings.

Rules of Thumb - Finding Your Lens' 'Sweet Spot'

Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds

Much thanks

Great first attempts!

Rules of Thumb - Finding Your Lens' 'Sweet Spot'

Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds

Did not know lenses had sweet spots! Thanks for the read. Yes, the thirds I what I read about. I assume after many errors one trained in the camera can just tell immediately.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back