Fresh Meat

tedgtfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I would like to intoduce myself, but I'm not sure who I am :>). I'm a 50 yr old male from Atlanta, Ga. I've spent the last thirty years of my life raising children and building a repair buisness. After breaking my neck a few years ago and spending some time in a chair with wheels, I kind of lost who I was. Now I've gotten back some of the use of my legs and able to stumble around somewhat. I've always had an interest in photography. In the late seventies I bought a minolta slr and tried to start there, but babies came and I had to sell it. It was extremely expensive back then, now with dslr's the learning curve has changed. I use to hunt with a gun, but now I hunt with a camera. I enjoy taking shots of critters and flowers. I had thought of starting a career in photography. But after building one buisness and understanding all the pitfalls there of, I know that I no longer have the strength nor the endurance to do that. So I will just keep it as a hobby. I really like reading all your threads. They are educational and sometimes amusing. I hope to get to know all of you better as time passes on (lord willing). Thanks Ted
www.flickr.com/photos/tedgtfan/

Welcome Ted! You've come to the right place, a great bunch of people here at the PhotoForum. Looking forward to seeing your photographs.

Welcome Ted. You will definitely learn a lot here! I'm also looking forward to seeing some photos of yours!

Welcome.

Yes, please ask away, you will get a lot of answers, many of which will be correct occasionally ;-)

But everyone means well, which is half the fun.

Hi Ted and welcome!

Believe this or not, your condition can be an advantage. I correspond with a couple of photographers who are wheelchair mobile. Obviously they would prefer not to be but I notice that their photos tend to be very deliberate and well thought out -two things that go into Good photography!

I didn't write this to be condescending in any way -if it sound so please forgive me- but rather to give you a thought. I too am a father and a member of the class of '75, and someone who is leery of going professional with photography. Have you thought of doing children's photo books? Team up with a writer or do the writing yourself and instead of illustrations, use photos. These can be great if your subject is a study of the natural world around kids and can show them exactly what is going on.

just a thought

mike

Thanks Mike, its funny you should mention that because the wife and I have been discussing that very same idea. I love being around kids. I coached little league baseball, girls softball, basketball, football,and judo for sixteen years. Those were what I consider the best years of my life. Anne (my wife) enjoys writing and I can draw fairly well, but useing photos is even better. Thanks for your kind words and advice, they are well received and greatly appreciated.

Also to all the others Thanks

Welcome Ted

Hi Ted and welcome!

Believe this or not, your condition can be an advantage. I correspond with a couple of photographers who are wheelchair mobile. Obviously they would prefer not to be but I notice that their photos tend to be very deliberate and well thought out -two things that go into Good photography!

I didn't write this to be condescending in any way -if it sound so please forgive me- but rather to give you a thought. I too am a father and a member of the class of '75, and someone who is leery of going professional with photography. Have you thought of doing children's photo books? Team up with a writer or do the writing yourself and instead of illustrations, use photos. These can be great if your subject is a study of the natural world around kids and can show them exactly what is going on.

just a thought

mike
I'm going to pass a link to this thread to a a friend who uses a Wheel Chair and who I am teaching photography to

Hi Ted, and welcome to the forum. There's lots of fun, camaraderie and learning to be done here, so I'm sure you'll love it.

Welcome as above. I'd like to point out though that the learning curve for photography has not changed, just the size of the camera manual. Drop your camera into A mode, leave white balance at auto or daylight, press the shutter and you will have a camera that pretty much works as they did 30 years ago, only with autofocus, so you can blame the camera for any mistakes. ;)

Welcome!! This is a great place to be to learn alot of information!! Everyone here is very helpful!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back