From DSLR to Mirrorless?

Which one, but why?

• Total voters
Last edited:
What lenses do you currently have? If you already invest quite a bit in the lenses, why not get another Nikon camera body?

I bought the Sony a7iii and could not be happier. I switched from D300, being a wedding and portrait shooter
And a woman, I appreciate how light weight it is.
I now shoot both video and pictures with it and it performed amazingly under low light situations.
My only negative comment about it would be that when you change the lenses, you have to be very careful not to let dust into the censor.

Go to a camera store and give it a try, how it feels and performs.
Good luck, samples on my blog - www.mylovestoryphoto.com

I really appreciate your answears, thank you.
So the mirrorless cameras really took over the world :congratulatory:

LoL, no Ilina, ML has not taken over the world. I shoot some sports professionally, and with several hundred photographers at an event, it’s rare for me to see a ML on the front lines!
ML advocates are pretty vocal, and on a lot of forums they are mostly old people looking for a cure for age. I’m old too but I don’t need a cute yet.
Personally if I were in your shoes I’d get a used Nikon D810 and a few used lenses. You can do with that camera what any ML can do. Yes, it’s getting a little long in tooth but that just means you can get them cheap! It’s still the same amazing high mp camera that it was when it came out!
And no, I don’t shoot Nikon, I shoot Canons.
Good luck
SS

I really appreciate your answears, thank you.
So the mirrorless cameras really took over the world :congratulatory:

LoL, no Ilina, ML has not taken over the world. I shoot some sports professionally, and with several hundred photographers at an event, it’s rare for me to see a ML on the front lines!
ML advocates are pretty vocal, and on a lot of forums they are mostly old people looking for a cure for age. I’m old too but I don’t need a cute yet.
Personally if I were in your shoes I’d get a used Nikon D810 and a few used lenses. You can do with that camera what any ML can do. Yes, it’s getting a little long in tooth but that just means you can get them cheap! It’s still the same amazing high mp camera that it was when it came out!
And no, I don’t shoot Nikon, I shoot Canons.
Good luck
SS

You really think the ML crowd is vocal? I always thought the opposite was true. I still feel like I’m in the minority, at least on this forum.

You really think the ML crowd is vocal?

We have one member who constantly trumpets the mirrorless idea, and his handle is the same as Darwin's ship...

Last edited:
What lenses do you currently have? If you already invest quite a bit in the lenses, why not get another Nikon camera body?

Just a 85mm f/1.8. (which is amazing btw haha)

But I think I'll go with the X-T2 with a few batteries, a 56mm f/1.2 R, not the APD, because of its price...

Thank you, guys, for the moment I'm still listening to your recommandations ! I kinda love that forum now!

A consideration for dSLR vs. Mirrorless is the battery life.
I do not know what the "real world" battery life/run time is of the Fuji and Sony cameras, but . . .
My experience has been:
  • I can shoot 2+ DAYS with my D7200 dSLR. This is long enough that I do not worry about having to take a spare battery on a 1-day shoot.
  • With my mirrorless Olympus EM1-mk1, the continuous power on run time with a non-stabilized lens is about 4 HOURS. It is even worse when I use the Olympus 12-100/4 with Sync-IS (lens + body IS), where the continuous power on run time drops to about 2-1/2 HOURS. So I ALWAYS carry spare batteries with the EM1.
The real world logistics of this is this is . . . On my vacation with the EM1; I took 3 batteries, and I changed batteries at about 11am and 4pm, on a regular enough basis to determine that 4 hour run time. Then each night I had to charge the 3 batteries, using 2 chargers, in 2 charging shifts. At the end of the day, on the 3rd hour of my last charged battery, I was very nervous that the battery would go EMPTY. Next trip with that camera, I am bringing 4 batteries.

One of the related issues is the location of the power switch on the Olympus. Olympus put the power switch in a dumb location, on the left deck, where it is not easy and fast to use. Compared to the power switch on the Canon and Nikon dSLRs, where it is around the shutter button, EASY and FAST to get to and use. As a result, on the Olympus, I leave the power ON much more than with my dSLR.

Not sure if the D7200 battery's capacity is huge or if the camera makes few demands but mine, too, seems to last forever. Fuji batteries' capacity varies: my X100T guzzles current, even with the optical viewfinder used most often with minimal chimping, making 3 spares routine; the X-T1 isn't as thirsty but a spare, either loose or in the battery grip along with the in-body battery, keeps me calm. Oddly, my little Ricoh GR II's battery-smallest I've ever seen--goes all day but I'm guessing the LCD-only viewfinder explains that. Spare batteries are just a fact of life.

Last edited:

We have one member who constantly trumpets the mirrorless idea, and his handle is the same as Darwin's ship...

HMS Beagle?

Battery life may be a real issue if you’re doing it pro. Photography is a hobby for me so I seldom do more than a couple hundred shots at a time. The only time I’ve run out of battery is doing time lapse shots but if you’re switching and doing it pro, you may want to have several extras.

HMS Beagle?

Battery life may be a real issue if you’re doing it pro. Photography is a hobby for me so I seldom do more than a couple hundred shots at a time. The only time I’ve run out of battery is doing time lapse shots but if you’re switching and doing it pro, you may want to have several extras.

In my experience, it is not the number of shots, but the "power on" time that determines battery life on a mirrorless camera.

HMS Beagle?

In my experience, it is not the number of shots, but the "power on" time that determines battery life on a mirrorless camera.

Probably. I’m sure the rear lcd takes a good amount of power. Even when that’s off the evf is running. Ive wondered too about auto focus and changing aperture a bunch since those are mechanical functions.

HMS Beagle?

Probably. I’m sure the rear lcd takes a good amount of power. Even when that’s off the evf is running. Ive wondered too about auto focus and changing aperture a bunch since those are mechanical functions.

The AF on the larger pro lenses probably take more power to run (more mass to move to focus), than the AF on the smaller consumer lenses.

I think a major power sucker is the active sensor.

LOL !
The "mirrorless idea" ... it's crazy shooting without mirrors !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

hint: the "D" in DSLR means dinosaur :048: but there are still some "living dinosaurs"

HMS Beagle?

HMS Beagle?

HMS Beagle?

The AF on the larger pro lenses probably take more power to run (more mass to move to focus), than the AF on the smaller consumer lenses.

I think a major power sucker is the active sensor.

Yes, battery and viewfinder lag time are probably the two biggest performance differences between D-slr and mirrorless cameras. The difference between having a camera that needs five batteries to cover a 3 and 3/4 hour football game and ONE charge on ONE battery to do a whole weekend is why the majority of professional sports shooters still shoot "dinosaur" d-slrs from Canon and Nikon.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back