From Nikon DX to ... M43?

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

So for a while now I have had these ideas in my mind to either go from my Nikon DX to Mirrorless FF or.... M43!
going to M43 might be a surprise to some of you, but I feel it has so many advantages compared to the other systems.

But of course, me, someone who doubts with everything all the time, cannot make the decision by myself, so I am looking for people who have done a similar thing and are happy/regret it.
Bare in mind that the things I write below are kind of my thoughts and thinking out load.

I believe with selling my current set, I could buy a very decent M43 set (used).
Current set:
Nikon D7500
Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 ART
Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART
Nikon 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 AF-P FX version
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6

Tamron 90mm Macro (not included in the comparison)
Samyang 8mm fisheye (not included in the comparison)

M43 set that I believe would be awesome to have:
Olympus OM-D E-M1 III
Panasonic Leica 10-25mm F1.7
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro (M.Zuiko)
Olympus 300mm F4 Pro (M.Zuiko)
1.4TC

M43 VS DX, advantages of the M43 system:

Total weight of the set (macro and fisheye lens not included) would be close to 2KG (4 pounds) less. 3610g VS 5555g
I would be able to shoot 18fps (even up to 60). instead of 8fps
Build in stabilizer in the body up to 7 stops
121 focus points VS 51
20mp is very close to 21mp, not really a loss, but with pixel shift I can with a tripod go up to 80mp if needed.
I would go from 5 lenses to 3 lenses+TC

Advantages of the DX system:
better in low light, it can deal far better with higher ISO.
obviously, bigger sensor
more DOF with high aperture

I currently have with my DX set (in 35mm sensor terms);
15-27mm F4.5-5.6 - 27-50mm F1.8 - 75mm F1.4 - 105-750mm F4.5-5.6

With the M43 (including 1.4TC) set I would have the following (in 35mm sensor terms);
20-50mm F1.7 - 80-300mm F2.8 - 420mm F4(TC) - 600mm F4 - 840mm F5.6(TC)

So, what can I conclude;
A lot smaller, easier to carry set.
I would lose some mm on the wide end (15 vs 20mm), but then again, the aperture is better.
I would lose my nice portret lens and F1.4 (sigma 50mm), ofcourse there are alternatives with M43 as well.
I would really gain on the long end with more light at F4, easier to carry and also with TC gain a bit more reach (750mm VS 840mm)

One idea to get more wide angle would be perhaps to do the following:
Metabones speedbooster with the Samyang 12mm F2 DX lens, This would make a 8mm (16mm in FF) with F1.4

Alright, that's it I think, let me know your thoughts!

Edit:
PS: I truly love my sigma lenses right now, but the autofocus is not fast enough I find for when I take pictures of my kids, I read from the Panasonic 10-25mm that It is really fast, so this is also a point that really excites me!

You did not define your purpose in migrating away from Nikon DX.
WHAT are you shooting?
Your budget. You better do your homework and price out what you think you can really get for your DX gear, and how much the m4/3 kit will cost (even used). I think you will come up very short.

Have you listed the pros and cons of both systems side by side, item by item?
Then addressed how you can address the Nikon DX con, to at least make it neutral?
Like do you REALLY need 121 focusing points??? Maybe, depending on what and how you shoot, I rarely use other than the center 9.
Unless you REALLY understand the tradeoffs when doing a system switch, there is a good chance that you will experience "buyers remorse."

re your Nikon lenses.
The last time I checked, there were NO Nikon to m4/3 adapters that retained communication between the lens and camera. That means the lens is FULLY MANUAL; no auto focus, no control of the aperture (you are stuck wide open), no VR, and with the AF-P lenses you CANNOT focus the lens (because they are focus by wire lenses).
If you are selling ALL your Nikon lenses, that takes care of this problem.

f/4 is f/4, no matter the sensor format and what some of the YouTubers say.
f/stop is lens focal length divided by the aperture size. 100mm lens / 25mm aperture = f/4
The sensor/film format is not and has never been a part of the formula to determine the f/stop.

The Olympus TC are limited to use by just a few lenses. According to the Olympus site only THREE lenses (40-150/2.8, 300/4, 100-400).

On the Olympus EM1-mk2, while you can shoot at 18fps, that is with the e-shutter, not the mechanical shutter. Although even the 15fps of the mechanical shutter in continuous LOW, will beat the D7500s frame rate.
The 60fps frame rate is neat, BUT, the focus is determined on the first frame, then FIXED after that. So your subject has to be fixed/stationary in distance from you.

Confusing statement:
? Advantage DX - more DOF with high aperture.
The larger the sensor, the shallower the DoF, at the same aperture, for the same Angle of View.

The 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 are not small/light lenses.

Finally, I switched from Nikon DX D7200 to m4/3 EM1-mk2.
But I still use the D7200 + 70-200/4 to shoot field games, cuz there is NOTHING in the Olympus lens lineup that handles like the Nikon 70-200/4. The lens chooses the camera.

I briefly considering m43, then saw how poorly those sensors performed -- even against my cell phone.

QUOTE=ac12

You did not define your purpose in migrating away from Nikon DX. Generally to get a smaller package to carry around, less weight, less lenses. I have 2 little kids and I feel with the DX I am not picking it up so much anymore.
WHAT are you shooting? My children and nature/wildlife.
Your budget. You better do your homework and price out what you think you can really get for your DX gear, and how much the m4/3 kit will cost (even used). I think you will come up very short. Actually not, not if I buy used gear, it should even out. at least here in Finland.

Have you listed the pros and cons of both systems side by side, item by item? yes I did.
Then addressed how you can address the Nikon DX con, to at least make it neutral?
Like do you REALLY need 121 focusing points??? Maybe, depending on what and how you shoot, I rarely use other than the center 9.
Unless you REALLY understand the tradeoffs when doing a system switch, there is a good chance that you will experience "buyers remorse." I don't really need, I'm more interested in the FPS, but I just mentioned it.

re your Nikon lenses.
The last time I checked, there were NO Nikon to m4/3 adapters that retained communication between the lens and camera. That means the lens is FULLY MANUAL; no auto focus, no control of the aperture (you are stuck wide open), no VR, and with the AF-P lenses you CANNOT focus the lens (because they are focus by wire lenses). why are you going on about this? I said I would trade off the whole set.
If you are selling ALL your Nikon lenses, that takes care of this problem.

f/4 is f/4, no matter the sensor format and what some of the YouTubers say.
f/stop is lens focal length divided by the aperture size. 100mm lens / 25mm aperture = f/4
The sensor/film format is not and has never been a part of the formula to determine the f/stop.
yes I know, I never changed the F values in my comparisons.

The Olympus TC are limited to use by just a few lenses. According to the Olympus site only THREE lenses (40-150/2.8, 300/4, 100-400).
yes, so like I wrote above, it would be used on 2 of the Olympus mentioned lenses.

On the Olympus EM1-mk2, while you can shoot at 18fps, that is with the e-shutter, not the mechanical shutter. Although even the 15fps of the mechanical shutter in continuous LOW, will beat the D7500s frame rate. a WIN!
The 60fps frame rate is neat, BUT, the focus is determined on the first frame, then FIXED after that. So your subject has to be fixed/stationary in distance from you. I am aware of that.

Confusing statement:
? Advantage DX - more DOF with high aperture.
The larger the sensor, the shallower the DoF, at the same aperture, for the same Angle of View.
This is a miss writing on my end! I meant to write 'less' or 'shallower'. My sincere and deepest apologies. I wrote to fast.

The 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 are not small/light lenses.
Yeah I know, neither is my 200-500mm lens, so my set size would shrink anyway. I don't mind a bit 'heavy' lenses, it's just the volume of my kit that has to go down.

Finally, I switched from Nikon DX D7200 to m4/3 EM1-mk2.
But I still use the D7200 + 70-200/4 to shoot field games, cuz there is NOTHING in the Olympus lens lineup that handles like the Nikon 70-200/4. The lens chooses the camera.

I feel like for wide angles I would like a FF
general pictures a DX
And wildlife a M43
but money doesn't grow on trees! That's why I would prefer to stay with one system.
Of course I would love to go FF Mirrorless, but I just cannot afford it.

Cell phone cameras are surprisingly GOOD, and they are getting better all the time.
Maybe I just sell of everything and snap pictures with my phone.
perhaps buy and collect some stamps with the money from my kit.
never go out anymore into nature, i can see nature on the stamps.

The image quality seems to blow.... go look at the micro43 website.. i did the other day... its a joke.. I honestly thought the photos on the website from the trip gallery were actually shot with a yashica samurai using gold color 200. they were that bad.

I had web cams back in 2003 with better image quality.

What you want to shoot needs 2 different setups. Family, kids, snapshots, etc. needs one type of camera and nature landscape needs a different camera. While you "can" get one to do both, it won't do either well. (IMHO anyway.)

I use a Cannon Sure Shot pocket camera for the family snaps. Quick auto every thing, smaller than most peoples cell phones, (not lighter though), and has Cannon quality glass and AI. At 20mp and 20x optical zoom it's way better than a cell phone and has a larger sensor to boot.

For the nature and landscape I just moved from DX to FX and will be pulling all my old manual film lenses out of their retirement. I'm expecting quite an improvement in my work there over the next year.

I think going from DX to 43 is the wrong direction, but that's just me.

Depending on your budget and what you shoot, look at a Z50 DX at $860 and buy an FTZ adapter to use your current glass. If you've got a few extra bucks, look at a Z5 FF at $1300 plus and FTZ adapter and use your FX glass. Both are small and light with better performance than your D7500 and you can begin buying Z glass as your budget allows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back