From the Galapagos

Aceski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there, I had the immense fortune of visiting the Galapagos last summer. Here are a couple of shots I managed of animals (btw non of these are the original/raws).

$BlueFoot.jpg$GrassHopper.jpg$MarineIguana (1).jpg$MarineIguana (2).jpg

Love this first pic the most. What an amazing adventure! That's top on my bucket list!

Ah Booby!!
That is one trip my wife and I are going to take.
Hmm, no tortoise(s) ?

Did you do any diving ?

The trip we took was a 7 day cruise on a yacht, it would travel around most of the major islands and we would snorkel 2 times a day usually.

Wow! Please explain how you got the chance to visit these amazing islands! Its one the places I would love to visit before...before you know. :)

Wow! Please explain how you got the chance to visit these amazing islands! Its one the places I would love to visit before...before you know. :)

Ahh shlt! Just saw you explained that already! Lol

Yeah, I quoted myself...got a problem with that?! ;)

Look up the 'G Adventures' tour company they are the company I went with and they organize everything. The trips include pick up and drop off from the airport to hotel, as well as experienced guides for all the tours. Cover meals and accommodation the whole way.

First post, but wonderful pictures, especially like the Booby and Sea Lion photo. As luck would have it I'm heading there in March 2014 and wondered what Lenses you took along for the trip. I'm actually thinking about picking up 2 new/used Canon lenses 70-200 F4 and 300 F4. I've been shooting with a Canon Rebel XT w/a 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 (old, but useful) mainly shooting my son's baseball/basketball games, and daughters dance recitals. I figure it is probably better the glass versus a new body, and have been looking/surfing for information of which there is loads out there, and think with these 2 lenses I should be covered but figured first hand experience/input is always good.

Thanks - Hans

I brought the following gear with me,

- Cannon 5D Mk II
- 70-200mm IS F4\L
- 16-35mm IS F2.8\L

GoPro 3 with one of those bendy little tripods *used this for underwater video/snorkeling

To be honest the 70-200mm was pretty much used for 90% of the shots, and if I had 3-400mm it would have been nice. But if I had to bring one it would be an IS telephoto up to 300mm. Most of the animals you will be within touching range but there are birds and things you want to be able reach while they are fishing etc...

If you can bring something for underwater shooting/video I highly recommend it, there is a lot to see down there.

Whatever you bring.. make sure its got IS!

Last edited:
Hans, I was there last October and took my 24-105, 70-200 f/2.8 and a 100-400, all of which have IS and I had two full frame cameras, one as backup. I found that most of my animal shots were with the 70-200 and most of the landscape panorama shots were with the 24-105. In fact a lot of the beach shots of the iguanas and the Sally Lightfoot Crabs were with the 70-200 and some with the 24-105 at 100mm. I would also suggest that you take a polarizer as a lot of your shots may be across the water and the polarizer will help to cut the glare off the surface. Bring lots of memory cards, or something to download images off your cards on a daily basis, because you will probably shoot twice the number of images that you think you will. I was there for about 8 days on the water and shot over 3000 images. Sunscreen and a good hat are a must. Any other questions, feel free to PM me and I will try and let you know what my experience was.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back