Frustrated - New Camera Purchase

Shoot4Fun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I "purchased" a new Pentax K100D kit from Cameraworld/Wolf/Ritz (they're all the same) that came with
a free Quantaray 75-300mm zoom. The price was $599 w/ a $100 Rebate.

First I get an email saying that the Quantaray is out of stock. They have more coming in but because I used
Bill Me Later they have to ship the entire order at once. Then I get emails today stating my entire order was
cancelled and that the items have been backordered or discontinued.

So, now I'm back to square one and I've been thinking. I can still get the K100D Super kit without the extra
Lens for $436 shipped after rebate. To me this still seems like the best bang for the buck. However a year
from now, I don't want to feel like I "need" a new camera after I become more familiar and experienced in
photography. Ultimately I want a camera that will do well in natural and low light settings whos decent
"hobbyist" lenses don't cost a fortune. I will rarely be wanting to produce images over 4 x 6 with the occational
8 x 10. I will be basically taking picture of the kids inside and out with the occasional landscape.

So lets have it. Is the Pentax going to fit my bill?

I will say that the Canon XT or XTi are also tempting. Asside from the Megapixel difference
(which seems unimportant for my intended use) and the size of the LCD, what is the major difference?

I have played with the Nikon D40/40x and was not impressed with lack of lens support and slow focus motor.
So I pretty sure I don't want the Nikon. And I don't really care for the Olympus either, primarily due to lack
of lens support.

So, basically I'm now trying to decide between the Canon and Pentax and if I will kick myself later if I choose
the XT over the XTi or the K100D over the K10D (citing my intended use above).

Thanks for any help. :mrgreen:

I have played with the Nikon D40/40x and was not impressed with lack of lens support and slow focus motor.

So, basically I'm now trying to decide between the Canon and Pentax and if I will kick myself later if I choose
the XT over the XTi or the K100D over the K10D (citing my intended use above).

Thanks for any help. :mrgreen:

First, the D40/40x does not have a "slow focus motor" because it doesn't HAVE a focus motor. If you thought it was slow, it was because of whatever lens was on it... although I have never seen a SLOW AF-S lens, perhaps that is what you were seeing. You are not going to get much snappier response from any lens system than a Nikon AF-S lens... not that I am trying to talk you into buying one... I am not.

If you rule out Nikon, then I personally would choose Canon over Pentax simply because the lenses are better. I am an old-school Pentax fan, and yes, I know there are a bazillion old film lenses that fit the Pentax system...

The new Canon lenses are better than Pentax when you consider the entire line. Additionally, you will find a LOT more choices for good third party lenses from better manufacturers that Quantaray.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are all much better than Quantaray, and the selection of those brands lenses is MUCH greater in a Canon or Nikon mount than Pentax.

There is nothing wrong with Pentax. The K100D is a great camera for the price.

BUT...

When buying a camera, in my opinion, it is much more important to concentrate on which LENS system you like the best. Digital camera bodies come and go, but the lenses you will keep any use for MANY years.

Canon and the other third party lenses available in the Canon mount are a much more set of options moving forward.

Given the choice between Canon and Pentax, I would buy Canon.

Having said that, given the choice of camera, I would save up a few extra bucks buy a Nikon D80 which I think is superior to the XT or XTi. But that's me.

You can get a used XT with a kit lens for nearly the same price as you would pay for the K100D too.

I wouldn't count out Nikon either. Do some extensive research into what lenses you think you might want and which ones are better in which brands. That might help you narrow it down.

First, the D40/40x does not have a "slow focus motor" because it doesn't HAVE a focus motor. If you thought it was slow, it was because of whatever lens was on it... although I have never seen a SLOW AF-S lens, perhaps that is what you were seeing. You are not going to get much snappier response from any lens system than a Nikon AF-S lens... not that I am trying to talk you into buying one... I am not.

If you rule out Nikon, then I personally would choose Canon over Pentax simply because the lenses are better. I am an old-school Pentax fan, and yes, I know there are a bazillion old film lenses that fit the Pentax system...

The new Canon lenses are better than Pentax when you consider the entire line. Additionally, you will find a LOT more choices for good third party lenses from better manufacturers that Quantaray.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are all much better than Quantaray, and the selection of those brands lenses is MUCH greater in a Canon or Nikon mount than Pentax.

There is nothing wrong with Pentax. The K100D is a great camera for the price.

BUT...

When buying a camera, in my opinion, it is much more important to concentrate on which LENS system you like the best. Digital camera bodies come and go, but the lenses you will keep any use for MANY years.

Canon and the other third party lenses available in the Canon mount are a much more set of options moving forward.

Given the choice between Canon and Pentax, I would buy Canon.

Having said that, given the choice of camera, I would save up a few extra bucks buy a Nikon D80 which I think is superior to the XT or XTi. But that's me.

Sabbath, thanks for the reply. I only said what I said that about the Nikon because I watched it work, at 2 different stores. I could actually watch the Nikon "kit" lens focus (slowly in comparison) while the Canon and Pentax were almost instantanious. I don't know if the store demo lenses may have been damaged or what, but between the 3 it was surely slower to focus.

I think I will explore the Canon. I already have a 75-300mm Sigma that carried over from my film Rebel G, hopfully it will work. Plus there is a nice inexpensive prime Canon lens that no other maker has in the same price range.

Anway, I'll be sure to replay and advise what I've chosen. Thanks again.

I think that your answer is Canon.

Your 75-300 will work with and canon EOS camera, so you are good to go with a XT or XTi, And I believe that the prime you speak of the 50mm f/1.8, and it only $70!

Do you have any other lenses from you old cannon? They will work great as well.

Ok, the silver Rebel XT with kit 18-55 lens is only $479, For some reason the same thing in black is $579!?

But, The Silver XT body only is $429
and the Black XT body only is $409.

I really don't get it but only $479 you might as well get the silver with the kit lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

And here is the 50mm 1.8 its actually $75 for the USA model and $70 for the import.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back