Frustrations With Videography Autofocus!

MailManX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My passion is recording RC Airplanes in flight. I'm having issues with autofocus in flight.

My current camera is a Sony FDR-AX53. It had rave reviews when I bought it. Unfortunately, it has been a total disappointment to me. It's a good camera, but not for me. It likes scenery and large, slow moving objects. RC airplanes are not its friends. My camera hunts for focus so often that I have to discard most of my video. I am SO frustrated with that!

Another issue I have is the tiny viewfinder. The screen is a paltry .24-inches and the eyecup is smaller than my glasses. The image I see is like looking through a toilet paper tube, or even the wrong end of a binocular. That's not acceptable to me. Therefore, I'm going to buy a new video camera. I believe that I want professional quality. I could really use your help...

My new video camera must have the following three features:
1. Extremely fast and accurate autofocus.
2. It must have a large viewfinder (preferably over half an inch).
3. Finally, it must shoot in 4K at 60fps.

Beyond that, I have few requirements. Professional video cameras do WAY more than I need, but if they provide my three requirements, then i'm onboard. My budget is comfortably at $3,000 USD. Maybe up to $5,000 for the right camera.

For example, I have been interested in the Panasonic AG-UX180. It is currently on sale at BHPhotoVideo.com for $2,695 and I'm very tempted. A channel on YouTube called "Essential RC" (Essential RC) specializes in 4K video of RC flight. Dominic Mitchell, the owner, uses the UX180 and is very happy with it. His results look excellent to me. However, when I asked him about the autofocus, he was realistic in his answer:

"Auto-focus is never going to work well for filming RC. On cloudy days, especially, the auto-focus can lose the subject necessitating clipping when editing back at home. The UX180 does have an amazing focus assist feature that makes manual focus much easier. It highlights the in-focus areas of the subject in red while viewing through the viewfinder. Makes it easy to correct while you are panning the cam."

Argh! I want a run-and-gun video camera with perfect autofocus. I know, that's probably the unobtainable holy grail, but a nice cloned chalis would be nice.

My ears are open to your advice and specific suggestions.

And now you know why professionals only use manual focus with video.

True that! I am going to practice and learn the fine art of manual focus. I'm not sure how to handle changing zoom and focus at the same time, but I'll get help from videos and forums on the topic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back