FS: Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM + Canon EW-78BII lens hood...

David A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mine is virtually brand new. I have all of the boxes and paperwork for both the hood and the lens. These are selling for $400 brand new without the hood.

$350 + shipping for the lens and hood.

Thanks guys. If anyone would like pictures of the lens itself I'd be happy to take a few.

Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens.jpg

Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

When someone is looking for a good quality but affordable walkaround lens, the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is one of the lenses I will often recommend to them. Though this lens gets some professional use, the 28-135 IS is an upper-medium grade consumer lens with image stabilization and a great focal length range.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is an easy-to-carry 3.1" x 3.8" (78.4mm x 96.8mm)(DxL) and 18.9 oz (540g). Size and weight are relative, but most will consider this a small and light lens. A plastic lens barrel helps keep the weight down while the metal mount is the same as on Canon's best lenses. The Canon 28-135 lens build quality is decent - in line with Canon's better consumer zooms, but there is a noticeable build quality difference between the consumer zooms and the L series zooms. There is also a noticeable difference in weight. And price. Expect some slight play in the two-part extension of the barrel, expect rings that are not silky-smooth.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens focuses reasonably fast and very quietly thanks to Canon's USM. Initial acquisition is very fast - the lens then makes a secondary fine-tuning adjustment if necessary for very accurate focusing. FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is enabled - a window provides distance information and the manual focus ring does not rotate during AF. The manual focus ring is small/narrow and requires familiarity to quickly find while shooting. While focus is internal, the 28-135 extends like most normal zoom lenses while zooming until reaching its longest length at 135mm. No focal length lock is present, so expect some zoom-creep when carrying this lens in a downward position.

Pictured above from left to right are the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Lens, the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens, the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens.

As it often does, image quality falls in line with the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens' price - or maybe slightly higher. Center sharpness wide open ranges from decent at 28mm to somewhat soft at 135mm where the weakest results are delivered. Stopping down to f/8 helps the 135mm results, but the shorter focal lengths do not change much with narrower apertures. Corner softness is poor at 35mm, but not bad for a consumer-zoom at the other focal lengths.

Strong barrel distortion at 28mm will be noticeable even on a 1.6x FOVCF body. You will notice the effect distortion has on the ISO 12233 resolution chart sample crops - the center image (the top-most sample) will appear slightly enlarged. The crossover point between barrel and pincushion distortion occurs around 40mm. By 70mm, the pincushion distortion becomes relatively strong and continues through 135mm.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens shows very strong vignetting at 28mm wide open. Wide open vignetting gradually decreases to mild vignetting at 100mm with a slight increase again at 135mm. As usual, stopping down the aperture reduces vignetting. Users of 1.6x FOVCF bodies will notice much less vignetting - in the corners below 35mm, but not a significant amount at the longer focal lengths.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens exhibits flare control ranging from moderate at 28mm to good at 135mm. As always, I base my lens flare opinions by using the lens with Canon's recommended lens hood in place. In this case, it is the not-included-in-the-box Canon EW–78BII Lens Hood. Contrast and colors from this lens are reasonable. Some CA (Chromatic Aberration) is present in the corners at the two ends of the focal length range.

Bokeh (foreground and background blur quality) is fine, but the 6-blade aperture is not going to deliver excellence with OOF (out-of-focus) highlights when stopped down. And, creating a diffusely-blurred background is not one of this lens' specialties. At 135mm, the background is magnified/compressed enough to create some blur if the subject is relatively close.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is obviously a variable maximum aperture lens. Available maximum aperture ranges from f/3.5 at 28mm to f/4 at about 37mm to f/4.5 around 50mm to f/5 near 67mm and finally to f/5.6 from 85mm to 135mm.

The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens' best feature (in my opinion of course) is its great focal length range. It will not be hard to find uses for the 28-135mm focal length range - from family shots and vacation/travel use to landscapes photography to photojournalism, this lens can cover a wide range of your focal length needs. If you are looking for a 1-lens-does-everything solution for a 1.6x FOVCF body, you might find 28mm to be long for your wide angle needs.

Incidentally, at its 135mm setting, the 28-135 IS has a noticeably wider field of view than my Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM Lens or my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens set at the same focal lengths at a relatively short distance. Focal lengths are rated for an infinity focus distance - so they *should* match at this focus distance if their ratings are correct.

With a minimum focus distance of 1.64' (0.5m), the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens delivers a mediocre maximum magnification of .19x at 135mm. This is good enough for flowers and other medium-small objects. Adding extension tubes shortens the closest focusing distance and delivers significant (macro-realm) .53x and 1.09x maximum magnifications for 12mm and 25mm tubes respectively.

Next to the great focal length range, Image Stabilization (IS) is my favorite Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens feature. Some debate the usefulness of IS in a shorter focal length zoom lens, but I think it is great. If your subject is not moving, you can shoot handheld in much less light than without IS - or at a lower ISO setting. To activate IS, simply turn the IS switch to the on position and press the shutter release half way. You will hear the stabilizer start up (a click and then a continuous hum - they are not loud). The image in the viewfinder will jump slightly (this is an older version of IS - but still very useful) and the viewfinder will become still (unlike camera-based IS). Keep in mind that the version of IS on this lens needs to be turned off when tripod-mounted. Not doing so may cause the image stabilizer to act erratically.

I mentioned before that the Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood is not included. Also not included is a lens pouch/case. I suggest the Lowepro Lens Case 1W if you need protection for your Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. Filters are another popular lens accessory - you will need 72mm-sized filters for this lens.

While the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a good value and a good choice for a walk-around lens, there are other lenses that should be considered before making this decision. Read my general purpose lens recommendations for more suggestions.

If you are looking for a good value 28mm-something zoom lens and your budget limits you to the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens' price range, look no farther. The Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens provides a great focal length range, reasonably sharp images and IS at a decent price point and in a relatively small package. This is a very popular lens - and for good reasons.

-Source: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

200804240761rj9.jpg

why are you selling it?

why are you selling it?

Because I'd like something faster...probably going to get the 28-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L. This lens is perfect for walk around but I need something a little more specialized for weddings. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back