FSHNC Funeral

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You may have noticed my absence from TPF for the last week.
Unfortunately my grandfather died early on January, Friday the 13th.
The funeral was yesterday at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.(in San Antonio)
I was asked to take photos of the event. I have been to these military funerals far too many times, but they are quite heart wrenching and will touch you every time.

Here are a few photos of that morning.

They lower the flag to half mast when a funeral is taking place.
FSHNC19.jpg

There are headstones as far as you can see.
FSH1.jpg

FSHNC2.jpg

FSHNC4.jpg

The AirForce Honor Guard.
FSHNC8.jpg

FSHNC7.jpg

FSHNC9.jpg

FSHNC13.jpg

Words of comfort from the commander.
FSHNC15.jpg

They fired off three shots in respect for the Master Sergeant.
FSHNC14.jpg

FSHNC17.jpg

There are a few more photos from that day here: FSHNC

I already told you my original opinion of those shots but I really like 10 and 11

You did capture the moment very well! Lots of different thing I like about several of the pics. Best wishes to your family.

Well done!

It's not often that one would be asked to photograph a funeral but you did a fine job.

Your grandfather would be proud of you. I hope he had a great life.

Very well done Littleman. You have captured an emotional series of photographs.
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. All the best to you and your family.

Those are very moving photos.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It looks like he was paid a very fitting tribute.

I'm sorry to hear this, Chris.

When I saw these first, I was thinking what Fred is expressing, too: it is not often anyone is asked to take photos at a funeral.

But you were asked, and it seems like the very right person was asked. These photos are full of grace and emotion and they "speak" a lot!

When I was asked I was scared that I would be disliked by people there. So I did NOT want to be in the way (or even seen for that matter)
Throughout the whole funeral I never moved from my spot in the back. I was trying my hardest to not be a distraction. I think it worked out well and I don't think I was a distraction. :thumbup:

Thank you for all your comments/condolences, the family is doing alright and we're pressing on with life. :)

-Chris

Little Man ... you did a fantastic job of taking a very difficult situation and making it a beautiful tribute. Your family will be honored to have these wonderful shots.

May God bless and comfort your family. Take comfort in knowing your grandfather is at peace.

Littleman, to say nice pics or good job seems a little crass. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather, and it seems to me that being the one taking the pics should have been somewhat cathartic...I think you successfully accomplished a very difficult task, but a grieving grandson AND ensuring that the moment was captured well and with dignity.

jocose said:
Littleman, to say nice pics or good job seems a little crass. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather, and it seems to me that being the one taking the pics should have been somewhat cathartic...I think you successfully accomplished a very difficult task, but a grieving grandson AND ensuring that the moment was captured well and with dignity.
I can put aside my emotions for a short while very easily.
I guess that's why I could take the photos. :)

LittleMan said:
I can put aside my emotions for a short while very easily.
I guess that's why I could take the photos. :)

Not to go on too much, but it just got me thinking...

In Judaism, there are very detailed instructions for grieving, called Shiva (which is from the word 7 because you are supposed to sit in mourning for 7 days). When my grandmother died, my first thought was religion, and how my religion was smart enough to have instituted proscribed rules and regulations to help the mourners. Then (thank god I've never had to worry about it until then), I discovered that for a religion that is very family-centric, and one that it's not uncommon for greatgrandchildren to know their greatgrandparents, the mourning rituals are only for parents, spouces, and children...nothing for grandchildren (and siblings only if parents are already dead and there are no brother/sister-in-laws). This actually affected me very much because while it was OK for me to cry and grieve, there really wasn't anything to help me through it. It was very hard for me. Fortunately, I'm tough and I accept that death is inevitable and there ain't a lick you can do about it. That she was old, frail, and in poor health was a help, but it still bothered me that there wasn't anything "religous" for me to do.

I'm not sure that makes much sense or really the point of why I posted it, but I did, so thanks for letting me.

Most reactions

Back