Fuji Lens Advice

Fujidave

Blue eyed and Beautiful
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Fuji guys/gals, I had been thinking of maybe getting the XF 16mm but as I take a lot of buskers/singers shots I have been looking at the XF 90mm. Have you had a try with people shots using the 90mm and how does the weight feel ?
It will be my last lens so I want to get the right one.

Hey Dave, I have a 90mm and it is a fine lens. It is extremely sharp, good contrast and micro-contrast, focus is quick and precise. Weight is a subjective thing. While I appreciate smaller cameras, it is all about the final image and size/weight are secondary to capturing the image I desire. I don't have a problem weight or size wise with the 90mm.

But, most of what I shoot are people, people ... candid people. A lot of event stuff and street stuff. For what I shoot and how I shoot, I love the Fujinon 50-140. It allows me to get really tight, (I like tight), delivers subject isolation and gives me the length I need to shoot across a stage or down the street.

Hey Dave, I have a 90mm and it is a fine lens. It is extremely sharp, good contrast and micro-contrast, focus is quick and precise. Weight is a subjective thing. While I appreciate smaller cameras, it is all about the final image and size/weight are secondary to capturing the image I desire. I don't have a problem weight or size wise with the 90mm.

But, most of what I shoot are people, people ... candid people. A lot of event stuff and street stuff. For what I shoot and how I shoot, I love the Fujinon 50-140. It allows me to get really tight, (I like tight), delivers subject isolation and gives me the length I need to shoot across a stage or down the street.

Thank you Gary, for me I don`t think the weight of the 90mm would bother me as it is lighter than the 70-200mm f4 IS L lens I had on the 70D.

Hi Fuji guys/gals, I had been thinking of maybe getting the XF 16mm but as I take a lot of buskers/singers shots I have been looking at the XF 90mm. Have you had a try with people shots using the 90mm and how does the weight feel ?

“It will be my last lens” I’ve heard that before.

“It will be my last lens” I’ve heard that before.

For me though, it will be my last lens :)

I do not own the 90mm. I do own the 50-140 and the 16mm. The 16mm should not even be in the conversation based on what you are looking for. The 50-140 is a fantastic lens. You really need to go on the flickr or xphotographers website and look at some images. The 50-140 has very unique line draw and bokeh, wonderful portrait lens but it is heavy. I usually use a mono stick with it but it is perfectly fine without one and OIS enabled. I've used it both ways.

Thank you JC.

Well I had a go with my mates XF 90mm and after a while I thought not for me. As when taking images of the singers I have to stand back, then I got a chance to try another mates lens and I loved it. So looks like I will get the XF 56mm instead as I can use it and move about easier.

Total change of heart, as I really want WR on the lens it will be the 90mm I go for as most of my images are taken out side of the singers, but now some have asked for me to take images of them while on the beach with the old West pier ruins in the BG.

Dave, for my tastes, I would like to see tighter images. Longer focal length, larger aperture, fill the frame, I think would bring more drama to your busker shots.

Here is a close one, X-T2 + XF 18-55mm

Rosa Rose by Dave, on Flickr

This is my idea of tight.

_DSF0860c.jpg

_S195954.jpg

2CBL5560aB-XL.jpg

_DSF1478-XL.jpg

Once I get the 90mm, I can do that tight very nicely so watch this space. Great set too Gary.

Total change of heart, as I really want WR on the lens it will be the 90mm I go for as most of my images are taken out side of the singers, but now some have asked for me to take images of them while on the beach with the old West pier ruins in the BG.

Dave, have you considered the 50mm f/2? It's not much shorter than the 56mm, it's plenty fast, and it has WR.

I just picked one up and so far I'm quite impressed. Stay tuned for a real world test thread in the next few days.

Most reactions

Back