Full Frame d700

You'll also notice that the full frame one has some vignetting while the crop sensor one does not....
Don't base that judgement on my photos. I have $hit all over the place and dirty walls to boot.

Pretty much all lenses cause some degree of vignetting, you never see it on a crop sensor though.
I call bull$hit on that.

Resisting...urge...to comment...on...other...thread...

In response to vignetting on DX, I have a Sigma 18-50 2.8 (don't hate on sigma) that vignettes on my D40 at larger apertures with a light background. Nothing near some of the more notable vignettes (Nikon 70-200 VRI on full frame), but still noticeable, and it's easily remedied.

You'll also notice that the full frame one has some vignetting while the crop sensor one does not....
Don't base that judgement on my photos. I have $hit all over the place and dirty walls to boot.

Pretty much all lenses cause some degree of vignetting, you never see it on a crop sensor though.
I call bull$hit on that.
Well, maybe not 'never' - but it is certainly less noticeable.

Yeah, I'd say that a lens that shows vignetting on a 1.5x sensor has pretty severe light fall-off if the fall-off shows up on 1.5x. Unless the lens is a really wide-angle or wide zoom--those things have pretty severe fall-off most of the time, and it'll show up on 1.5x or FF. Luckily, today we have excellent tools to control fall-off,either to eliminate it or to create it!! It's so,so much nicer now that images can be edited at a computer in daylight,and changes made and evaluated for free,instead of having to make expensive prints and only then get to see the final look of a shot.

Most narrower-angle lenses have better control over peripheral illumination loss than wide-angle lenses do.

FF cameras like the Canon 5D and 5D-II and the Nikon D700 and D3 series shoot a much bigger capture area than 1.5x or 1.6x or 4/3 bodies do, so the pixels in FF are bigger than in comparable MP count, but smaller sensors. And the actual capture area on FF is something like 864 square millimeters, whereas a Nikon 1.5x sensor is 370 square mm, and a Canon 1.6x is 329 square mm. This means shallower DOF on FF, and vastly different camera-to-subject distances on FF with the same,exact focal length lenses. That changes both true perspective, and background rendering in very significant ways.

For a standing wedding couple, using 85mm lens on 1.6x Canon, you must be 34 feet away. With the same lens on a 5D or D700 FF body, you can get the same couple framed from a distance of only 20 feet. There is an eastern European wedding team, a father/daughter combo, that uses the D3 and 14-24,24-70,and 70-200 Nikkor lenses, and they shoot absolutely STUNNING wedding work, utilizing the full frame advantages. I believe his first name is Alexander, but could be mistaken. The work his studio shoots on-location in these eastern European cities is simply staggering in its beauty,and the shots WILL NOT,could NOT,look the same if shot on crop-frame cameras.

Nikon D700 is a great camera :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You should buy it if you can. No question asked.

For a standing wedding couple, using 85mm lens on 1.6x Canon, you must be 34 feet away. With the same lens on a 5D or D700 FF body, you can get the same couple framed from a distance of only 20 feet. There is an eastern European wedding team, a father/daughter combo, that uses the D3 and 14-24,24-70,and 70-200 Nikkor lenses, and they shoot absolutely STUNNING wedding work, utilizing the full frame advantages. I believe his first name is Alexander, but could be mistaken. The work his studio shoots on-location in these eastern European cities is simply staggering in its beauty,and the shots WILL NOT,could NOT,look the same if shot on crop-frame cameras.

Derrel,
Any ideas on where I can see examples of their work?

Yeah, here it is, I did a search of my computer. Here is the web site:

Aleksandras Babicius & Irina Belcikova

The photographers are named Aleksandras Babicius and Irina Belcikova. I am pretty sure that I read in one of Aleksandras's posts that Irina is his daughter.

These two publish on-line portfolios, week after week, that are in-depth (six to eight dozen shots) enough to show that their results are not accidental, and the post-wedding stroll-through-the-city parts of their portfolios are almost ALWAYS very compelling, and they do a lot of simply amazing shallow depth of field work. The Nikkor lenses that they use are some of the very finest,modern lenses, which have an amazing image "look" that was definitely not present in the majority Nikkor lens designs of the last century.

These two shooters are my personal favorite wedding shooters, bar none.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back