Full Frame Mirrorless

3Ddeath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you guys think of the newly announced Sony cypershot DSC-RX1 full frame mirrorless camera?

Gonna be expensive but seems really neat.

yup. its "neat" all right.
personally, I don't have quite enough disposable income that i would shell out 3k on a camera with a fixed lens.
to me, it seems more of a "I have more money than I know what to do with" camera.
im sure it will produce great results, but I wonder what the target audience is for it.
dont take anything I have to say about cameras seriously though....I bought a 110 SLR.

yup. its "neat" all right.
personally, I don't have quite enough disposable income that i would shell out 3k on a camera with a fixed lens.
to me, it seems more of a "I have more money than I know what to do with" camera.
im sure it will produce great results, but I wonder what the target audience is for it.
dont take anything I have to say about cameras seriously though....I bought a 110 SLR.

When they say "Fixed Lens" do they mean it can't be changed or just that the lens it comes with has a fixed zoom aka prime lens?

3Ddeath said:
When they say "Fixed Lens" do they mean it can't be changed or just that the lens it comes with has a fixed zoom aka prime lens?

Both

What do *I* think of the new $2,800 Sony fixed-lens mirrorless, finderless camera? Well, it does look "neat". If it was made by a real "camera company". I might be enthused about it. Except for the price tag. I like 35mm on 24x36, I truly do. In fact, for the past two months I have been shooting a pretty fair bit of 35mm f/2 prime on a 24MP FF sensor camera. Again, I have long truly LIKED the 35mm focal length on 24x36,and own multiple 35mm primes. BUT,and this is the big "but"...I don't like being limited to one,single focal length. 35mm is semi-wide. Pseudo-wide. Almost-wide.Semi-normal. I dunno...I'd be more tempted to buy TWO Sigma DP Merill cameras, and get one each in their two different fixed lens lengths. For three grand, ehhhh...a Nikon D800 seems like a MUCH better use of *my* money.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a nice camera; $2,800 is a pretty dear price point for what it offers: no built-in eye-level finder (accessory,external,shoe-mount finders are of course available, from Zeiss, Voigtlander, Leica, China), and NO lens interchangeability. If the price were really one heck of a lot lower, I'd be more enthused, but I do have some "value proposition" and marginal utility analysis objections to this camera...the price is simply too damned high for 1) a Sony and 2)with one, fixed lens.If it were a Leica, it'd be another matter. Or even a Nikon. Both of those have "camera nuts" that can keep prices high on used gear. However, as a luxury status symbol, the $2,800 price does bring with it a lot of status points as a conspicuous consumption bangle.

What do *I* think of the new $2,800 Sony fixed-lens mirrorless, finderless camera? Well, it does look "neat". If it was made by a real "camera company". I might be enthused about it. Except for the price tag. I like 35mm on 24x36, I truly do. In fact, for the past two months I have been shooting a pretty fair bit of 35mm f/2 prime on a 24MP FF sensor camera. Again, I have long truly LIKED the 35mm focal length on 24x36,and own multiple 35mm primes. BUT,and this is the big "but"...I don't like being limited to one,single focal length. 35mm is semi-wide. Pseudo-wide. Almost-wide.Semi-normal. I dunno...I'd be more tempted to buy TWO Sigma DP Merill cameras, and get one each in their two different fixed lens lengths. For three grand, ehhhh...a Nikon D800 seems like a MUCH better use of *my* money.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a nice camera; $2,800 is a pretty dear price point for what it offers: no built-in eye-level finder (accessory,external,shoe-mount finders are of course available, from Zeiss, Voigtlander, Leica, China), and NO lens interchangeability. If the price were really one heck of a lot lower, I'd be more enthused, but I do have some "value proposition" and marginal utility analysis objections to this camera...the price is simply too damned high for 1) a Sony and 2)with one, fixed lens.If it were a Leica, it'd be another matter. Or even a Nikon. Both of those have "camera nuts" that can keep prices high on used gear. However, as a luxury status symbol, the $2,800 price does bring with it a lot of status points as a conspicuous consumption bangle.

yea...what HE said!

I really liked the idea of a camera like this for street photography, but ya, this one seems like a fail :O

I don't get why people say it "fits in your pocket" with that massive lens on the front. It just seems awkward to me.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Most reactions

Back