Full Frame Nikon Problem

You could look at the 80-200 f2.8. It's much cheaper than the 70-200, and just as good, if not better.

for a Nikon FX body I think you will need 3 lenses

1) 24-70mm f2.8
2) 14-24mm f2.8
3) 70-200mm f2.8 VR II

This is one bonus extra lens-very nice and useful
4) 105mm f2.8 micro VR

No, they are not cheap, but they will last a long time and will hold their value... Unlike the camera body which will go down in value very quickly... as soon as a new model comes out.

Pro, for me, is easy 75% of your income from photography.

Actually that question was for the thread starter. I wonder if he understands what it means to call himself a "professional". The title isn't given, it's earned. It certainly isn't by equipping himself with "pro" gears and a business card. Plus, since when must a "pro" use a full frame? I've seen many who make good money with photography produce awesome work with cropped sensors (This guy published a book with iphone photos! http://gizmodo.com/5377281/iphone-photography-collection-by-a-real-photographer). It also sounds weird to me that he only wants zoom lens. The term "go pro" seems to be a really easy one to say these days.

Problem? I bought a super-duper professional camera but can't afford the glass to match it.

Solution? Sell super-duper professional camera, buy "obsolete" consumer camera, buy some awesome glass to match it. Tada! Awesome pictures since the camera body means much less in the end from an IQ standpoint. Eventually, when I've saved more money, go back to buy the second-gen of that super-duper professional camera.

I agree, it sounds like someone should have bought a D90 and a really nice lens like the 24-70.

Problem? I bought a super-duper professional camera but can't afford the glass to match it.

Solution? Sell super-duper professional camera, buy "obsolete" consumer camera, buy some awesome glass to match it. Tada! Awesome pictures since the camera body means much less in the end from an IQ standpoint. Eventually, when I've saved more money, go back to buy the second-gen of that super-duper professional camera.

I love my obsolete cameras! Good glass and better Technique go a long way to making some great photos. Plus most Gear that's not a Rebel or D40 look all the same to your clients, its the product that counts.

Really If you need pro glass and want to work as a professional, then maybe look into some financing options. Small business loan, "bill me later," or even credit cards. I know it takes some time to start up if your new, but paying off this size debt should not take too long if you are working, and in the end the work you are doing with the lenses should outweigh and interest paid.

Thank you all for your help, I'm afraid I lost this page, but I have now bought an overheavy but so-far very handy VR zoom lens (It was for a specific job), and am about to buy a smaller portrait lens for my wedding work.

I am curious. How do you define "pro"?
Hehe, I used to do a lot of editing for wedding work and photographic restoration and reconstruction, what I mean is that I intend to work for myself as a wedding photographer, and originally used Olympus and Cannon, so I have no experience of Nikon. I'm a bit new to the wider photographic world, so I find the whole 'what is a professional photographer' a bit silly, :p what is a professional plumber?....One that gets paid! :lol:

I have dyslexia thanks, my spell-checker often leads me to miss-correct words.

Interesting. I never knew that dyslexia would cause you to use two n's instead of one.

Anyone else notice that the Nikkor DX and FX equivilant glass are relatively close in price? So if you already made an investment in DX glass you'll recover a considerable amount of the FX glass cost by selling your DX glass...of course assuming you kept it in excellent codition.

He he, that would be great if I had DX lenses. :lol:

Interesting. I never knew that dyslexia would cause you to use two n's instead of one.
Dyslexia prevents you reading things correctly, causes you miss-order and misspell letters words. And dislike pedants for correcting you constantly. :p

Most reactions

Back