Full Frame Nikon Problem

I am not saying this to cause you greif, but if you don't know what lenses you will need for your camera, are you really ready to go pro?

This might be his first digital camera, and maybe he just got it.

He has a D700 doesn't he?

Why does OP have to know anything about his camera or what lenses will work before he chooses to go pro?

Why should anyone be expected to actually learn their craft or trade before they turn professional if they have a DSLR?

This 28mm f/2.8 AF-D lens is a lightweight wide-angle lens for all Nikon digital, AF and manual-focus film cameras.

It will cost you about $275 brand-new.

If you're counting every pixel on a D3X you might want a sharper lens like the 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S G, but for every other use, it's swell, and very inexpensive

I find the whole 'what is a professional photographer' a bit silly, :p what is a professional plumber?....One that gets paid! :lol:

You say it all right here, telling me that you don't even have a clue.

Just because a plumber gets paid for his work does not mean that he knows what he is doing.

Just because a photographer gets paid for his work does not mean that he knows what he is doing.

Caveat Emptor...

Just because a plumber gets paid for his work does not mean that he knows what he is doing.

Just because a photographer gets paid for his work does not mean that he knows what he is doing.

Caveat Emptor...

So what is YOUR definition of a pro?

_

You can't tell that I was being sarcastic and facetious????????????

Do you know what "Caveat Emptor" means?

Don't know if this thread is more entertaining, or maddening....

My general definition of and requirments for someone being a professional photographer (not in any special order, just as thoughts come to me) Please note that I am not preaching, I do not know it all. I was asked a question
by stutter to think, and all I am doing is answering it -

Just because one has a D700 and wants to go pro and charge for their work, does not make them a pro - at least in my opinion.

Obviously a pro charges for their work, and the work they do should reflect that, and be of a quality that reflects their knowledge and experience. And the work they are selling is "worth" somewhere near what they are charging for it.

A pro does not produce work that looks like snapshots (unless it is intentional).

A pro should pretty much know their camera body inside and out. You are always learning, I know that, but a pro should not have to ask on a forum what lenses to use, what lenses will even fit or work on their camera body, or what lenses will "work" in any specific situation.

A pro should not go to shoot a wedding without understanding their camera and lighting equipment and how to use it. I see and hear and read about this often.

A pro has learned (an ongoing process) their craft, and it IS a craft or trade, not just "I just got my first DSLR yesterday, think I want to go pro now that I am ready for it"

WHY start with a high end camera until you fully understand it and learn how to use it to its potential? All that does is to make you "brokeh". If you buy "too much" camera body to begin with, by the time you learn and really understand it, it will have been replaced with a newer model that you could have bought later to go with the better glass you should have bought in the first place if you feel that you do want to go pro someday.

More megapixels does not matter as much as most people think, unless you are making LARGE blown-up images. In my (non-photography) business I do 8" x 11 1/2" images all the time with a 2mp point and shoot, and the images look just fine. 6mp - 10mp should be PLENTY for most peoples' needs.

A 10mp point and shoot is not a better camera than a 6mp DSLR.

Better glass on a lower level camera body will generally produce better images than will a kit lens on a high-end DSLR body.

BUY "enough" camera body for the next year or so of your level of
knowledge and experience, and then get the best glass that you can afford....

I have been shooting for 40 years and I am still learning about my D80.

High quality lenses should be considered to be investments, camera bodies are intended to be disposable and replaceable.

Asking "Isn't a higher # model camera body better than one with a lower model # " I know a pro didn't ask this, but you read all kinds of crazy comments here on TPF.

LEARN - get a part time job with another photographer, work for someone else even as a gopher to begin with, a second shooter, even for free for a time. Shoot for your school paper. Shoot for your church. Take classes.

L - E - A - R - N what you are doing before you charge someone else for doing it.

As a pro, you need backup equipment, not just one camera body and two kit lenses.

A pro has paid their dues, gone through a learning process, knows about cameras and lenses and lighting and filters.

A pro does not look for, or ask about the cheapest bodies, lenses, flashes, filters.

A pro understands the different between cheap and expensive filters.

A pro doesn't especially need the most expensive equipment to produce high quality images, but doesn't have a bag full or low budget gear.

A pro will know the difference between consumer/kit and pro quality lenses, and understand why there is a difference, and a difference in the cost.

Not all image quality problems are solved by getting "faster" glass...

I find that many people do not even know that some of the older film flash heads ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with the hot shoe on modern DSLR's because of excessive trigger voltages.

A pro will know and understand terms and concepts like IQ, DX, FX, MP's (megapixels), cropped frame, full frame, sensors, bokeh, DOF (and how to get it), ISO or film speed, shutter speed, bracketing, f/stops / apertures, RAW, JPEG, coated, multi-coated, understand how the # of blades in a lens can affect IQ and bokeh, etc.

A pro will generally be able to look at an image and know if it was over or underexposed, and properly in focus, and how to make adjustment / corrections to it.

A pro will also have a general knowledge of PP and software packages and how to use them, and not just print the image taken with the camera.

A pro should be a good businessman, as well as a good photographer, and sometimes more of the former than the latter.

And as a pro - they KNOW WHAT they are doing.

I could write more, but you get the point.

Flame away....

Last edited:
You can't tell that I was being sarcastic and facetious????????????

Do you know what "Caveat Emptor" means?

Yes, and Yes.
You're not the only one with an education on this board.

BTW, that's a pretty long-winded definition of a pro.
You need medication dude.

I could write more

Are you serious?

_

Last edited:
Part of the problem with the industry is that now, in the digital age, anyone who buys a DSLR, or even a P&S, heck, even a cellphone, can sell images and call themselves a professional photographer.

They don't even have to know what the heck they are doing.

I have read your other postings, so I defer to you, stutter, you must be a pro, you have a D700 and 36 posts on a photography forum.

I am not here to argue with someone like this.

Last edited:
Yes please, I ran out of popcorn long ago...

If I remember correctly, someone asked about FX lenses or something... now it's a debate on what a pro is, I think.

Part of the problem with the industry is that now, in the digital age, anyone who buys a DSLR, or even a P&S, heck, even a cellphone, can sell images and call themselves a professional photographer.

They don't even have to know what the heck they are doing.

Wow, I agree with you....... I need medication now. LOL
Now it's up to 37 posts
Yes please, I ran out of popcorn long ago...

If I remember correctly, someone asked about FX lenses or something... now it's a debate on what a pro is, I think.

That's funny! :lmao:
_

For 2 good lenses you will have to pay 4 times what you have got £400-600 will only get you 1 lens, full frame will show up flaws on cheap lenses, good lenses always come before a good body

Most reactions

New Topics

Back