Fun assignment, need help.

jjd228

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking some continuing education classes in photography. The professor told us to submit a photo from a photographer we admire, and our task will be to re-create the photo as much as possible. I submitted the below shot from Hugo V, a well-known alternative model photographer.

I have a model, so now I need to re-create the angle, lighting etc.

Looking at this photo, what are some of your best guesses as to how the shot was lit (how many lights, what kind, where were they etc.), and if you had to guess, what can you tell about lens/focal length, shutter speed, aperture, iso... I know, mostly guess work, but pretend you had a gun to your head and had to answer :D

ps, I'm not cheating. We were told to use whatever resources we needed.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1009610_656847004345090_414749428_o.jpg

Last edited:
......ps, I'm not cheating. .........

But you are violating the rules here by posting an image that you don't have rights to. :sexywink:

Edited. See original post please.

You can work this out yourself, I think:

Where is the shadow of her hand falling on the wall, and where is her hand? There's one light for you, with a good measure of how diffuse it is.

See the hot spot on her elbow, on the right edge of the frame? That indicates another light. Is it casting any shadows on the cement backdrop? Where must it be?

The camera is obviously quite low, right?

That should cover the basics. I think this also contains a great deal of photoshop, but that's just my reaction to the general flavor of it, not any specific tells I am seeing.

You can work this out yourself, I think:

Where is the shadow of her hand falling on the wall, and where is her hand? There's one light for you, with a good measure of how diffuse it is.

See the hot spot on her elbow, on the right edge of the frame? That indicates another light. Is it casting any shadows on the cement backdrop? Where must it be?

The camera is obviously quite low, right?

That should cover the basics. I think this also contains a great deal of photoshop, but that's just my reaction to the general flavor of it, not any specific tells I am seeing.

The camera is definitely low, but I'm not convinced the shadows are real. I'm thinking there's a light to her left which is causing the hot spot on her elbow, and outlining her leg with light, but look at the shadow her elbow is casting. Doesn't look natural to me. I'm pretty certain the shadows are Photoshop. So maybe just the one light on the left?

The highlights and shadows have been altered quite a bit in post. How are you at editing?

There are at least two lights in play here. The one creating the hotspot on her elbow is probably positioned to not cast shadows on the cement. Think over how you would position such a light, and you will learn much, young padawan!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back