Fungus potential?

Lol999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.17minutes.co.uk
Hi, could use a bit of advice please. Recently bought a gadget bag off E-Bay to hold my gear. When it came it's in good nick but has that "fusty" smell of being in a wardrobe for too long. I gave it a good wipe over inside with neat anti-bacterial spray and warm water, then wiped dry with a clean cloth. Then I sprayed some Dettol antibacterial air freshener in it, for good measure! I then left it next to a radiator for 24 hours to make sure it had thoroughly dried out before putting my gear in. However, i've just pulled a lens out and it's got that smell to it. My house is warm and dry and whilst I don't have any to hand I'm getting some silica sachets to put in with the gear. is the smell an indicator of future fungus problems?

Cheers, Lol

It sounds like it. Any way to turn it inside out and keep it outside for several days? The sun will do a wonderful job of killing mold/fungus. It may still be usable, but it sounds like it might need a long "airing out" period before you put your gear in it.

Terri knows best bro... I think it is fine but a bag MUST be dry, Fungus thrive in moist environments so keep your gear in a cool dry place, Not the bathroom storage shelves. good luck.

Have you tried spraying some ordinary white vinegar over the entire affected area? You can do that and then wipe it right off. It might just do the trick.

I've taken the best available option. I took it over to my mum who is death to all known dirt and gunk! She had it in the washer last night at 9.45pm before I left and is going to dry it and then air it outside for some days during daylight. I think the problem was that this stuffiness had permeated the foam padding and my wiping over was not touching it. At the end of the day it wasno good to me as t wasso if it can't be rescued this way then nothing lost. Just shows the potential perils of buying off E-Bay though.

Cheers, Lol

You WILL need to put a packet of silica drying agent (the kind that you'll find in shoe boxes - it's nearly Christmas dammit! :) ) or two for long term protection. Maybe get a bulky one too, the ones you can get from the supermarket. ALthough it's definitely better to get a whole new bag to get rid of the hassel.

Definitely UV that bag before you use it. Putting it near a radiator doesn't help - you're only providing warmth for fungus growth. Put it out into the sun in the open for a day - The Sun is a great UV source and hopefully and the fungus wouldn't survive the dessication. However, because there are still spores that exist after the fungus has died off, you will still need a drying agent in your bag.

Fungi is NOT a bacterium phylum -anti-bacterial stuff may not hurt it at all. Fungus can form spore on harsh condition - and spores are tough sons-of-a-gun :D. Dettol may or may not do the trick, same with vinegar. So the Sun is still your best bet.

Just helping out with Uni 1st year biology :)

Mum still has the bag and is giving it her cleaning attention. I had a sniff at it the other day and it smells a lot better when it was still wet but it's getting plenty of sunshine outside so hopefully this will do the trick. Now, for that silica sachet........

Most reactions

Back