Funniest thing I've read in a long time

Yes but the amount of thorium is so small as long as you don't take the lens apart an lick the innards you'll be fine.
I deal with more radiation than that lens daily and have never registered a reading on my dosimetry.

Yeah, but zombies are immune to radiation, your not a fair comparison.

Its much more complex, actually.

The amount of thorium used in these old lenses varies greatly. Some register barely above background radiation; these lenses wont develop the yellow-brownish tint when kept in storage and wont appear on these list of radioactive lenses. Others are really nothing to joke about, especially if the front- or backelement has thorium in it and radiates its alpha radiation directly out.

And the really crucial thing about radioactive lenses is to keep them away from children at all costs, and to make sure to never break them yourself either. Because if they break, thorium dust gets into the air - and if that settles in your lungs, it will stay there. Then the effect of the radiation will be maximized, and cancer will be very likely.

Licking the lens wont do anything because they are coated or multicoated; you'll lick the coating.

I'm starting a rock band.... Thorium Lick....

There is a Mule Lick in Nevada...
Vegas has a Salt Lick BBQ and a Lick Candy Store.

Radioactive lenses, like cell phones should be kept away from your head and at least a few mm from your body at all times.

I don't understand what everyone is getting at?
I use these lenses instead of candles to light up around the house at night.
:)

Its much more complex, actually.

The amount of thorium used in these old lenses varies greatly. Some register barely above background radiation; these lenses wont develop the yellow-brownish tint when kept in storage and wont appear on these list of radioactive lenses. Others are really nothing to joke about, especially if the front- or backelement has thorium in it and radiates its alpha radiation directly out.

And the really crucial thing about radioactive lenses is to keep them away from children at all costs, and to make sure to never break them yourself either. Because if they break, thorium dust gets into the air - and if that settles in your lungs, it will stay there. Then the effect of the radiation will be maximized, and cancer will be very likely.

Licking the lens wont do anything because they are coated or multicoated; you'll lick the coating.
Quote from a scene in the movie, "Airplane": "I picked the wrong week to give up snorting Thorium!"

I like both bananas & brazil nuts, both of these are known for being radioactive & I expose myself to them internally where there's no protection from dead skin . I also like Cornwall as a holiday location & flying to more exotic places is better still, lots more exposure.
I'm certain that my risk of cancer from radioactivity is greater from those sources than it would be from using any of the thorium lenses on the front of my camera. Yes some elements are up to 30% Thorium in some lenses, but contact with them is brief & alpha radiation drops off VERY quickly with distance or any material. there is some gamma radiation too but this is much less ionizing so less harmful.

I probably wouldn't store them just under my bed, or keep them in my trouser pockets as these might bring about much longer time frames with some exposure (I'd also find both awkward for more practical reasons).

My training as a radiological protection supervisor has given me enough information to make a reasoned assessment of the hazards - which are fairly negligible probably less than my drive to work every morning.

It's only the cost of the lenses that stop me adding them to my collection - reports suggest they might be better optically than the 50mm f1.4 I already have.

Why the "cult" status of this lens? | Takumar 50mm f1.4 | Flickr
I would think by now any radioactivity would be next to nil, so not an issue for me.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lolz !!!

(He was talking about radioactive lenses - which contain thorium - which has a half time of 15 billion years. No their radioactivity wont be gone any time soon lol !!)
That's 'half life', half time is the part of the Superbowl when wardrobe malfunctions occur.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back