Fuzz at the park....

GeorgiaOwl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my 200mm lens. Sometimes (indoors, early in the day) it works great and other times, I push down 1/2 way, the camera seems to focus in - "BEEP" - it's focused and I push down the rest of the way and it produces this -

(times are aprox.)

At 3:00 PM....
2613589785_cded7a8c19.jpg

2:00 PM....with less smog
2614426148_d5343b17f0.jpg

4:00 PM.......
2614428762_209d1fe71a.jpg

I've tried everything I know....I can turn the AF off and focus on flowers and stuff that way, but I'm shooting some motorcycle action this weekend and I don't have a clue. When I first went out shooting with it a month ago it was, of course, fine.

The only thing I can think of is that it's atmospheric interference. We've had some code-don't-breathe days here north of Atlanta, and that shot was taken around 4pm....and the air is thick with haze/smog.

Is that the problem?

Looks like camera shake to me... The blur doesn't give off an out of focus blur but a motion blur (sadly I've seen to much motion blur in my shooting career). What shutter speeds are you shooting?

There was a thread about fuzzy pictures maybe a month or two ago. The suggestion was maybe the VR caused the blurrines. VR is good for low shutter speed - yet it still active with high shutter speed, trying to correct what is already correct.
So the conclusion was like positive + positive = negative.

I don't have the VR lens so I am only passing what I read from others.

THanks i'll try to turn off the VR. what i can't figure out is that it worked a month ago on the dragon flies just fine. as for speeds/ap. i tried alot of different settings and it was always the same.

i'll let you know what turning off the VR does. thanks.

matter of fact, I took these photos just yesterday and they're much better...

2614541988_85b5596806.jpg

Wasn't as hot yesterady and this was at a little higher elevation...but not much...

i'll try what you guys said and see if i can find that thread. i kept looking for "smog" and didn't think to look at "camera shake"...thanks...

There was a thread about fuzzy pictures maybe a month or two ago. The suggestion was maybe the VR caused the blurrines. VR is good for low shutter speed - yet it still active with high shutter speed, trying to correct what is already correct.
So the conclusion was like positive + positive = negative.

I don't have the VR lens so I am only passing what I read from others.

Good catch... I didn't see the VR, and didn't think of that...

Most reactions

Back