FX camera and DX lenses

Fingtam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the last month or so I've been seriously considering upgrading to a D3.
My biggest reservation right now is that the larger sensor would essentially make my DX lenses obsolete. Of course, I'd probably invest in some new glass to go along with the new camera, but most of the lenses I've seen are incompatible with the D3. I don't know how I feel about spending the money on a new lens and then only be able to use the DX 5 megapixel portion of my sensor with it, and lenses designed with FX DSLRs in mind seem to be relitively few. Probably because they're fairly new and there's only two of them.

Specifically, I was looking into Tokina's 11-16mm ultrawide until I read that it would only work from the 15-16m focal lengths.

I'd love to hear any input or advice, or even just a good substitute for the Tokina lens if you know of one.
Thanks

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upgrade your glass to FX compatible glass first. If you don't then you've basically got a 5MP APS-C body. There are plenty of FX lenses out BTW, they just cost more.

.... and lenses designed with FX DSLRs in mind seem to be relitively few. Probably because they're fairly new and there's only two of them.
You seriously need to do some more reading. Try Thom Hogans site... Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide look in the Nikon tab.

.... Specifically, I was looking into Tokina's 11-16mm ultrawide until I read that it would only work from the 15-16 focal lengths.

I'd love to hear any input or advice, or even just a good substitute for the Tokina lens if you know of one.
Thanks
Slap on the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 on your D3.

Ok. I feel kind of silly now. Haha.
I've been mostly looking for glass that would give me wider angles than the 18-55mm I already have.
I was browsing Kenrockwell.com for lenses around 10mm to 16mm and I was getting frustrated that they all had DX in the names.
What I failed to realize is that with FX you don't need anything that wide because with the crop factor an 18mm lens will actually look wider.
Thanks for the help anyways. I appreciate it! :)

I upgraded from a DX to FX (D3) a couple of weeks ago. Although, I have a few FX lenses already which made it a very easy transition.

I vote for the glass to be upgraded first and then your body. I plan to get a D3s next year to replace my DX back-up... and then the 14 - 24 f2.8 sometime aroound that to complete my "Nikon Trinity".

FYI: Nikon is currently listing 59 FX lenses and 16 DX lenses on their site.
Also, you mentioned the Tokina 11-16 lens so I'm not sure you realize that the field of view on an FX camera is wider than it is on a DX. Meaning that you could use something like a 14-24mm on an FX body your widest FoV will be equivalent to roughly 9mm on a DX.

Also, you mentioned the Tokina 11-16 lens so I'm not sure you realize that the field of view on an FX camera is wider than it is on a DX. Meaning that you could use something like a 14-24mm on an FX body your widest FoV will be equivalent to roughly 9mm on a DX.

I did realize that after posting. Thanks though.

Specifically, I was looking into Tokina's 11-16mm ultrawide until I read that it would only work from the 15-16m focal lengths.

Thanks
?? don't believe everything you read.

^^^ have to agree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back