FX vs DX camera and lenses

frankgtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello, i have recently purchased a d7000 about a month ago and bought it with the 35mm 1.8g and i love the camera and the lense too. but im guessing that sometime in the future i might want to upgrade the camera most likely to a full frame. My question is if Im going to upgrade wouldn't it make sense to buy full frame lense instead of dx format lense ?

this upgrade won't happen anytime soon maybe in more than 4 years but im thinking of getting a zoom and or a wide angle and question came up, just trying to think ahead and save some money in the long run.

Short answer: yes.

D7

Yes it would make sense as the the current generations of FX lenses work on DX cameras.

lol ^

Yes, buy FX lenses, with exception to a few very nice DX lenses they are most uaually better anyhow.

Furthermore, you posted it in a Nikon thread which has cameras like the D7000 (OP's camera) and the D700 (which the OP could upgrade to for a FX camera). Sooooooooooooo, yeah. 'D7' looks like you forgot to type 3 or 4 zeros.

And that's related to D&D how exactly?

D7

dumeril7 said:

D7

Not trying to start anything or nitpick but what is a d7? I feel like I might be missing something.

Furthermore, you posted it in a Nikon thread which has cameras like the D7000 (OP's camera) and the D700 (which the OP could upgrade to for a FX camera). Sooooooooooooo, yeah. 'D7' looks like you forgot to type 3 or 4 zeros.

D7

If you had a pair of dice that had a 7th magical side? I don't know. Ask someone that plays D&D.

thanks everyone i guess i'll be doing that then. any suggestions for a nice wide angle/short focal length and or a nice zoom. money is an issue but i can wait so i could save up for a while ( around 400-800$ more than that only if really really worth it in the long run.

Buy the best lenses you can afford, if they happen to be fx, that's okay. It being fx will do nothing for you other then making the lens heavier, slower to focus and more expensive, however, most pro quality glass doesnt have a dx alternative.

FX Prime lenses are often 'cheaper' you get more for 400$-800$, thats a very small budget for FX lenses though...may i ask something? - how do you feel that the D7000 limits you?, thats a GREAT camera you have, good body, good viewfinder, good weather sealing, good auto focus, good sensor for low light and in general...what limits you in the D7000?.

FX Prime lenses are often 'cheaper' you get more for 400$-800$, thats a very small budget for FX lenses though...may i ask something? - how do you feel that the D7000 limits you?, thats a GREAT camera you have, good body, good viewfinder, good weather sealing, good auto focus, good sensor for low light and in general...what limits you in the D7000?.

I went to D7000 after my D5000. Wasn't long till I upgraded to full frame. For example, with an 85mm lens on the D7000 I had to back way up and lose depth of field, not to mention at portrait focal lengths such as 85mm in the studio put me through the back wall.

Other reasons for the FX camera upgrade were controls are better and easier to use, viewfinder better, sturdier, and on and on. I haven't regretted going FX not once since the upgrade.

The question was about which lens to buy and I stated FX. Because i bought a few sweet DX lenses like the Tokina 11-16 and then sold them on Craigslist. Yeah the DX lens will work on FX but wll we all know the drawbacks....

Most reactions

Back