G9 or S5 IS

danjchau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
-------------

Last edited:
If you really are concerned about quality....go right for a DSLR. Even the entry level DLSR cameras are far superior to these non-SLR cameras.

I have the S3 IS and I think the S5 IS just has the larger LCD, higher ISO and a faster chip or something like that. Anyway, I have enjoyed my S3.

I was also in a dilemma between the S3 and the G7, before I bought the S3. While I liked the photo quality of the G7, the S3 proved far more valuable to me, because of the zoom. 12x zoom is pretty good for a P&S. My thoughts were, I will get the S3 to learn on and eventually get a DSLR. Then I will keep it as a back up or the "beater" camera. It's been a great camera. Good pictures and good video. Haven't regreted the purchase.

Before I bought my first DSLR, I went into Best Buy and was looking for a better point and shoot camera I wanted the best, I was willing to pay 4 to 5 hundred. I explained to the salesperson that I wanted a point and shoot that didn't have a huge delay. Well he said then you need to go DSLR. He then said if you are going to spend 4 to 5 hundred on a point and shoot, then you might as well buy a DSLR. He was right! So if you are going to stay with a point and shoot I would recommend not to spend more than 200. IMHO I would get a DSLR and you can always put the camera on AUTO. I mean why drop 500 on a point and shoot when the DSLR is in arms reach.

There is a catch though, if you get a DSLR, you could easily be sucked in and want more. Next thing you realize is you can't get enough and you have now spent 3600 dollars on equipment. Heck you start thinking.... family vacation or 70-200 f/2.8 IS L?? Hmmm (Jeopardy Song Plays)… I'll take the lens Alex!!!

Out of those two choices, the G9. But I'd also point you towards a DSLR. The Canon Digital Rebel XT is only $469.95 through B&H Photo(link at top of page) with an 18-55 lens.

I say chuck both. go get a Nikon D40 instead.

If u want to stick to P&S. Go with the G9. It got a touch more features and is more potable, larger sensor(1/1.7 Vs the 1/2.5) just misses out on the extra 6X optical zoom but if one uses digital zoom u can have upto 24X on it and the quality is okay, not bad though. More importantly has the raw mode.
Image quality would be better with the G9, High ISO would be crappy on both.

If you want VFM u can look at the Nikon P5100, similar to the G9. but is lot lesser in price but no RAW and very good cam to learn on. At about 300$ its the best bang for the buck.
When i got the G9 i was looking at either P5100 or G9, got the G9 though, couldn't get a slr coz my bro wanted the cam to have video function too.

-------------

Last edited:
Every year a new version of the digital series is launched.
The latest is 450D and the year before lasts is 350D, more mega pixels and may be a different sensor.
Most are minor upgrades, the major difference b/w a 350D Vs 400D, other than sensor & MP, is that 400D has a self sensor cleaning unit in it, faster continous mode,LCD is 2.5 inches(1.8 in 350D),9-point AF system from 30D

The major difference b/w the 350D,400D Vs the 450D, other than sensor & MP, is that 450D also has spot metering that the other 2 camera's don't have,digic III processor, 3 inch display,Larger viewfinder,Live view, 9-point AF system from 40D,ISO setting display in viewfinder,higher capacity battery, contrast detect AF and a function that boosts shadows after shooting and has a upgraded menu system, +3_-3 Ev, comparatively faster burst mode.

Looks like a bit but relatively it wouldn't make a great deal of difference, if one gets a 350D or a 400D or 450D unless one puts the cam to extreme use.

-------------

Last edited:
I got a 350d last week, untill then I had only used an SLR briefy for uni and was a 5mp compact user.

I cant explain how huge of a jump it was from my little sony cybershot. its not just the resolution, its everything. I know my model is "old" now even thought its actualy brand new but I dont feel like ill have to upgrade for a good few years, this is more than I need for a long time.

-laam-

if you would like me to show you what my camera is like in auto (point and shoot) just email me and and ill send you a few pics so you can see how well it can do them.

-------------

Last edited:
So is the 350D a good investment for the next five or six years. Does it exceed the G9's performance and quality?

Yep. the 350D beats the G9, all ends up. May be the G9 has a couple functions more but the image quality of the 350D would be tons of times better.
The P&S performs well in ideal condition where the SLR has much wider range.

Most reactions

Back