Game animals up close (lens and shutter noise)

cardplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I have a good bit of hunting experience, so I have no trouble getting "in close" to big game animals. I want to apply my archery experience to get shots of big game (mostly deer) up close. Since I shoot Canon, I was thinking of getting the 70-200 F4 L IS USM, and since I have a 1.6 FOVCF (Rebel XTi), this should give me 320mm effective at F4.

Will this be enough to fill the frame? Can anyone tell me what kind of glass is required to get good shots from 30 yards away? Is F4 good enough light-wise, or should I spring for F2.8? The shots will mostly occur in the woods, and mostly in early morning or late evening light.

Also, what impact does shutter noise have on animals? It seems to me that it is going to spook them.

Thanks,
cardplayer

200mm should be pretty good at 30 yards...but if you had a longer lens, you wouldn't have to get so close...but that's part of the fun, isn't it? :D

I'm not sure about the shutter noise...it would depend on a lot of factors. Some cameras are quieter than others and if your camera is too loud, then maybe you would need a longer lens and shoot from farther away.

As for F4 vs F2.8...F2.8 is 'better' for many reasons but it may or may not be the best choice for you. When shooting in questionable light, you will want as fast a shutter speed as possible, especially if your subject is moving...but you may be able to get just as great shots with the F4.

Besides cost, the F4 version is smaller and lighter, which could make a big difference for trekking through the woods.

You know, for any other camera besides the Rebel, shutter noise is a non-issue, but the Rebel's shutter really is loud, obnoxious, and grabs attention from anything within, i'd say around 20-30 yards if ambient noises are quiet. I don't know why it's so loud, because there really is no excuse.

A lot of people have said that the 20D/30D shutter is louder than it should be...maybe even louder than the original rebel. I'm not sure about the newer Rebels though.

Since the camera companies started focusing on their digital bodies (and lost the film drive noise) they don't seem to be concerned with making the cameras any quieter.

A lot of people have said that the 20D/30D shutter is louder than it should be...maybe even louder than the original rebel. I'm not sure about the newer Rebels though.

Since the camera companies started focusing on their digital bodies (and lost the film drive noise) they don't seem to be concerned with making the cameras any quieter.

My D70 is almost silent in comparison to the Rebel. The 300-400D's are just ridiculously loud and there is absolutly no reason why they should be. It's just obnoxious.

The 20D & 30D have made some compromises...they are louder but they can shoot at 5 fps. I'm not sure why the Rebels would be so loud.

I guess you could wrap the camera in foam to deaden the sound.

I have a Rebel xt and it is loud. I was trying to 'sneak' a few pictures of a homeless guy the other day and it was like that stupid shutter was all that could be heard!!
I bet it will at least get the animals attention,. though I haven't heard if the XTi is any quieter than the XT.

whilst your browsing cardplayer,

don't forget to look into extension rings, which typically come in 1.4x and 2x zooms - i don't know much about them i'll confess but the added 'range' they give you is traded off for useable appeture.

(just making your life compicated i know!)

Thanks for the great responses. I was a little worried about the shutter noise; I'll just have to see how it goes.

Also, yes, the 1.4x extender sounds really sweet, despite the loss of an F-stop.

Now I just need to scratch together the lens money :)

cardplayer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back