Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Just had to move all my winter sowing containers under the tables. We are getting a n'oreaster tomorrow.

We have black gumbo clay here, and it gets tougher to work each year. I used to dig into that stuff with a spading fork and add soil amendments, but it's just too much work anymore. Our stink trees (Bradford Pear) are starting to bud. Pretty, but they smell awful.
Why those things were so popular, I'll never know! To be admired from a distance only!

Take heart: they're generally weak trees, and once they get a little top-heavy they can be ripped apart by a strong wind. That's how we got rid of both of ours in Georgia. Replaced one with an oak, the other with a Bosque (aka Lacebark) elm. I miss very little about Georgia, but I do miss my trees. :)

Why those things were so popular, I'll never know! To be admired from a distance only!

Take heart: they're generally weak trees, and once they get a little top-heavy they can be ripped apart by a strong wind. That's how we got rid of both of ours in Georgia. Replaced one with an oak, the other with a Bosque (aka Lacebark) elm. I miss very little about Georgia, but I do miss my trees. :)
At our old house, a good wind took out four of them. This one at the current house, though, is something else. It withstood 90-100mph winds with no loss of branches. But a store not far from here was flattened. Go figure.

At our old house, a good wind took out four of them. This one at the current house, though, is something else. It withstood 90-100mph winds with no loss of branches. But a store not far from here was flattened. Go figure.
This year NC started a bounty program where they pay you to replace them with natives. They have reverted back to the fertile original variety and are spreading like wildfire. Taking over everywhere.

This year NC started a bounty program where they pay you to replace them with natives. They have reverted back to the fertile original variety and are spreading like wildfire. Taking over everywhere.
They need a bounty here in Texas. Once those trees start sending out runners suckers pop up everywhere, it's a lot of work to keep on top of them. Same for Mesquite in dryer areas.

Winter sowing experiment is afoot!
And yes, that's a foot of snow in the background this a.m.

WinSow.jpg

Winter sowing experiment is afoot!
And yes, that's a foot of snow in the background this a.m.

View attachment 264587
What have you planted so far? Veg or flowers?

I’m starting to get discouraged with my WS as I have seen no growth yet but I guess it’s early… trying to be patient. At least I know I got the cold stratification step covered! I’m concerned that my seeds may have drowned and rotted in all the rain and snow we’ve had! Going to hold off for a few weeks before replanting.

What have you planted so far? Veg or flowers?

I’m starting to get discouraged with my WS as I have seen no growth yet but I guess it’s early… trying to be patient. At least I know I got the cold stratification step covered! I’m concerned that my seeds may have drowned and rotted in all the rain and snow we’ve had! Going to hold off for a few weeks before replanting.
Cottage garden perennials so far. Restoring beds at a large, very old property. Fri-Sat scheduled to piss with rain, so may just cap these till it passes. More bottles in the wings.

Has anyone used grow bags for tomatoes? I’m thinking of using those instead of the big buckets I used last year. Might use them for the dahlias too so I can move them when needed. Been browsing dahlia tubers and trying real hard not to order any more!

This is one from last year. I tried to over winter the tubers in my attic but they must have frozen. I don’t really have any place to store them. No garage, heated basement is too hot and detached shed is too cold…

View attachment 264288
so beautiful...should be framed

Here are some photos from resent past gardens ..hope i see them all again..
pics 031 (5).JPG
_DSC6299 (4).JPG
DSC_3235 (5).JPG
.. under one foot plus of snow right now

@Photo Lady beautiful ! I have that same Clematis. I’m hoping it comes back this year. I had to cut it all the way back last fall due to some work on the metal railings that it climbs.

Peg. I used bags for the spuds, mixed results. I even planted them in the raised planters last year, poor yield for the amount of space they took up. I think I have gone and over done it this year, every little bit of space I have is planted, inter cropped and I still have things to plant.

Peg. I used bags for the spuds, mixed results. I even planted them in the raised planters last year, poor yield for the amount of space they took up. I think I have gone and over done it this year, every little bit of space I have is planted, inter cropped and I still have things to plant.
I read an article that said that you can use tires (tyres) to grow them. You put one down and fill it with dirt and plant the potatoes, then when they are tall enough, you stack another one on top and fill it with dirt so that the topmost part of the plant is exposed, and you do that throughout the season. Then at harvest time you remove each tire and harvest them. Haven't tried it, but it looked intriguing.

Most reactions

Back