Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

I read an article that said that you can use tires (tyres) to grow them. You put one down and fill it with dirt and plant the potatoes, then when they are tall enough, you stack another one on top and fill it with dirt so that the topmost part of the plant is exposed, and you do that throughout the season. Then at harvest time you remove each tire and harvest them. Haven't tried it, but it looked intriguing.
Another little trick that I learned, and it works very well, is to bury the tomato plants with just the top sticking out. The buried part of the plant roots, and you end up with a much larger and more robust plant. I think that works with any member of the nightshade family, but I haven't tried it with peppers yet.

I was told to bury the first two sets of leaves and that worked pretty well last year. Someone else said to plant them on their side but I didn’t have the nerve to try that. We have such a short growing season here that I hesitate to take risks like that lol!

I use the old fashioned hill style on tomatoes, plant them just past the first true leaves, rake dirt up around them weekly until hells front porch arrives, (known locally as summer), then mulch heavy with straw. I get fruit from first of July until Oct. with the indeterminate varieties.

I was told to bury the first two sets of leaves and that worked pretty well last year. Someone else said to plant them on their side but I didn’t have the nerve to try that. We have such a short growing season here that I hesitate to take risks like that lol!
All but buried works here. They root off the stem. Bonus frost protection for infant plants, too!

I’ve got 3, that’s right 3! sprouts in my winter sowing jugs. Finally starting to see some signs of life. 2 echinacea and one Shasta daisy.

Bought dahlia tubers at Costco a few weeks ago. Last week decided to “wake them up”. I put them in clear plastic baggies out on a table in a warm room with indirect light. They have so many eyes already and some have even started to sprout. I divided the larger clumps and got 2-3 out of each crown. Package was supposed to be 8 tubers but I have at least double that, probably triple of all the eyes sprout.

No idea where I’m going to put them all as it’s about 2 months early. I think I’m going to pot each of them up with a small amount of soil for now and let them start. Once they get about 12” I’ll pinch them and then move them to bigger grow bags outside. If we get a late frost it will be survival of the fittest.

Still have 10 tubers ordered online that won’t arrive until mid April…

@Photo Lady beautiful ! I have that same Clematis. I’m hoping it comes back this year. I had to cut it all the way back last fall due to some work on the metal railings that it climbs.
thank you..same here.. we painted the railings..fingers crossed..

One of my tulips is impatient to bloom. Weird right?

2EC1084C-78AB-4D1C-A829-9192D9EE8A42.jpeg

Most reactions

Back