Gear advice needed - Sony FE Lenses

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I could use some advice for a package of lenses for live music shooting. I have been looking at the
Sony24mm f/1.8 ZA E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar Lens and the 70x200 (although it is two pounds.)

I need a long lens? 85 prime? Low light music venue...

Here are choices
Alpha A-mount and E-mount lens database

I have been absent from,TPF and Live Gig Shots for quite sometime due to back injury that has resulted in lifestyle changes. Good new is I am on my way back to shooting shows. No more arena/rock shows, rather jazz/blues clubs.

Only shot two shows in 3 years. Jazz/blues folks are very accommodating, to sit as much as possible (back issues.) I got a Sony a7 with stock lens, 35/50 primes. I tried the adopter route but got frustrated and went back to D800 and 24X70.

The Sony is perfect for my needs. Once I can figure out how to get the most out of the camera, low light shooting with Sony F.4 and up should be easier?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't own a Sony camera/lenses but I think I can help.

The native FE selections has some options you may be interested in:
  • Sony 28mm f/2—has a couple of adapters, one to make it a 21mm f/2.8 I think, the other turns it into a fisheye.
  • Zeiss 25mm f/2 "Batis" (autofocus)
  • Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 "Loxia" (manual)
  • Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 "Batis" (autofocus)
  • Sony 70-200mm f/4 (less than 2 lb)
Not a native FE lens, but can be used with a Sony adapter: Sony/Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 for A-mount. Heard it's an amazing lens, but never took the time to look at images shot with it, or test data. With the Sony LA-EA4 adapter, autofocus should be just as fast as with A-mount camera bodies.
However, the lens is quite a heavyweight at 2.17 lb, and costs $1,700. Maybe it's available used at a lower price.

The 24mm f/1.8 lens you mentioned is made for the APS-C cameras in the E-mount range. It most likely doesn't cover the entire sensor in an a7 camera.

I love to use the Zeiss 16-35. Especially for landscapes with the Lee filters.
The Zeiss Loxia 35mm & 50mm and Zeiss Batis 85mm are my favorite primes.

Most reactions

Back