Gear transport and storage.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting to get too much stuff to keep track of and so I'm wondering how others store their gear and transport their gear.

I've got about 5 lenses, 4 speedlights (including the smaller SB-400 from Nikon), 2 camera bodies (but I never shoot with 1 of them), and a handful of accessories for storing SD cards, my Sony eneloops, Cowboy radio triggers, etc.

Right now, I've got a lot of my gear on shelves in my closet, and I keep other stuff packed away in a Lowepro backpack but that's quickly filled up.

So, how do you store your gear? Several smaller bags or 1 big bag? I feel like I need more gear storage...:mrgreen:

I have a rolling tool box from Craftsman that I adore. It is LARGE and can hold all of my gear and then some if I don't include strobes in it. It can hold all of a shooting kit plus 2 strobes and several speedlight heads if I take strobes. It also doubles as a step stool and chair. It has 2 wheels on it and I can pull it along behind me. NICE for me because carrying all of that weight is a PITA for a woman-and I have a LOT of gear.

ETA: I LOVE it to travel with. I travel with gear at least twice a year and I have shipped gear on planes with no worries. I've added padding and I know everything is secure and locked into it!
41xiC6IwELL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use lowepro X200 to store all of my stuff. You can probably pack all the things you listed in that bag. I have smaller bags when I do smaller gigs where I dont need everything.

I use lowepro X200 to store all of my stuff. You can probably pack all the things you listed in that bag. I have smaller bags when I do smaller gigs where I dont need everything.

So you just use the LP200 for storage of everything and then when you travel, you pull out what you need and carry less stuff in a smaller bag? That makes a lot of sense to me but the LP200 is not cheap. I'm sure you've got more gear than me too. My largest lens is the 18-200mm that KmH tells me I need to get rid of and replace with the 70-300mm AF-S.

I have something like 10 or 12 camera bags & cases. I even have a square padded bag that I got at a garage sale...I bought a 13" TV and the bag came with it.
And even still, most of my gear is strewn about my office. I want to pick up a large wardrobe type cabinet...possibly a metal one with a good lock, but that's not near the top of my 'must have' list.

When I travel or go out to shoot photos, I take the bag that best suits my needs for that day/trip.

I still don't have what I would like though. I really like the Airporter bags from Thinktank. Lowepro has some similar bags. They are basically a rolling suitcase style bag.

So you just use the LP200 for storage of everything and then when you travel, you pull out what you need and carry less stuff in a smaller bag? That makes a lot of sense to me but the LP200 is not cheap. I'm sure you've got more gear than me too. My largest lens is the 18-200mm that KmH tells me I need to get rid of and replace with the 70-300mm AF-S.

I only pull out what I need if I feel that I dont need the whole thing. If I am doing a family shoot at someones house, I just bring the whole suitcase. If I am meething someone at a park, I leave it in the car and just carry what I need (or back pack). The x200 just helps me organize stuff.

Regarding me having more gear.. well.. I dont have that much. Money is tight so I really focus my investment on WEDDING equipment only. I cant even shoot longer than 135mm LOL. Maybe when I am successful with my wedding photography business I will start buying other lenses.

Most reactions

Back