Geese Take Off Help

in my very limited newbie experience :), I've had the same kind of problem shooting across water with the focus in AI servo mode. my conclusion was that the camera gets fooled as it continually tries to refocus in this mode - i think the water filling the shot confuses where the focus point should be, especially if you are panning with the shot. At least on my camera, if AI servo doesn't quickly obtain focus, it tends to dial completely out of focus in its search for the subject. it looks like you were completely dialed out when you took the shot. Try the same situation again in one shot mode so that you can obtain a true focus lock, and I'll bet you get much better results.

The trick with AI servo is that you have to keep the focus on the subject perfectly - if you miss the point the camera will refocus and that can cause problems. The advantage is that if you do get a lock you can pan and follow the subject whilst burst shooting and - if the first shot is sharp - the rest should have also be (in an ideal world - in reality lower end cameras are not perfect at this - whilst the likes of 1D cameras are far more improved)

Most reactions

Back