What's new

General thoughts on this?

My first thought was - wrong white balance setting in the camera for the main light source. Yucky yellow snow.

My second thought was - Ah! Mixed lighting color temperatures - when I noticed the closer and from the right side of the frame, sliver of light.

Composition is OK. Subject choice is not to appealing.

Some flash in the foreground gelled to match the street light color temperature might add some interest.

Is the street light a low-pressure sodium vapor type? Sodium-vapor lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
It looks like a photo printed on the wrong side of the photo paper on a printer running out of ink.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #5
My first thought was - wrong white balance setting in the camera for the main light source. Yucky yellow snow.

My second thought was - Ah! Mixed lighting color temperatures - when I noticed the closer and from the right side of the frame, sliver of light.

Composition is OK. Subject choice is not to appealing.

Some flash in the foreground gelled to match the street light color temperature might add some interest.

Is the street light a low-pressure sodium vapor type? Sodium-vapor lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes. the street light is actually yellow. I could have brought the color down a little so it wasn't SOO yellow however. I had noise reduction turned off. which, I regret at the moment. Seemed like a good idea at the time. and The camera was over maxed for what it is iso 1600 so the noise mixes with the snow. It is harsher than I wanted but not totally off???.
Im working on this type of thing though. I like the idea of making a photo that ends up looking like a painting. Like is common on book covers or in books and such. Movies occasionally have painting like still shots that then move into live action. Im trying to figure out how they do it so well...
So I kind of like this picture in a way? As if it was a little better, I could imagine it being on a paperback novel cover..
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #6
It looks like a photo printed on the wrong side of the photo paper on a printer running out of ink.
Could be better. no doubt. I have a tree I have been playing with too and a few more similar. I seem to gravitate toward this kind of thing even though I don't know what im doing. But if I do get lucky on one I have a cousin that writes mystery novels who lives near by and a chance of doing a book cover, or at least volunteering and proposing to do a book cover. Her last book just went global and I think this picture is probably better than that book cover. I don't know who the publisher paid to do the last cover but It really wasn't that great.
 
Due to the techniques used and the resulting look of the image, it almost has more of a “digital art” vibe to it than a “photography” vibe, if that makes any sense. I think you’re onto something neat, though.

One thing that comes to mind is that, IMO, there is no need to blast the image with noise using high ISO. Personally, I’d have taken that shot using a lower ISO (with camera on a tripod if necessary), and added the additional “grit” in post. That way, you get essentially the same result, but far more control.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom