What's new

Genuine or Fake battery?

itf

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
128
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I have a question about a battery I purchased off of Amazon.com.

I compared the new battery with my old one and found that they look exactly the same but two differences.

1. The font is a little bigger on my new one.
2. My old one said PSE Japan, but the new one says PSE OS Elec.

It is an EN-EL 14 btw.

Any clue? Thanks
 
Was it packaged as OEM equipment?

There's nothing wrong with 3rd party batteries - they usually work just as good and are a third to half the price of the OEM ones.

If they are trying to pass off 3rd party batteries as OEM, that's illegal though...
 
Nikon batteries are MIJ. ;)
 
It says Made in Japan and I wanted genuine ones. I was just wondering what PSE stands for because OS Elec is actually Sanyo. Does Sanyo make Nikon batteries o.o
 
Does it say Nikon on it? When you bought it, did the description say it was Nikon? Did the box it came in say Nikon on it?

All of my Canon batteries say Canon on them. Nikon should be the same...


If the new one does say it's made by Nikon, same packaging and all that, it is probably genuine...
 
Last edited:
It came in a Nikon box, the difference I'm worried about is this:

DSC_0074 by initial tofu, on Flickr

The left is the one that came with the camera. The right one is the one that I just bought. Notice how the font seems a little different (thicker) and PSE says OS Elec instead of Nikon.
 
OK, the PSE logo is just a consumer electronics certification thing... "OS Elec." does appear to be the manufacturer of the new one..., though it does still say Nikon Corp., Japan under that.

Does the little hologram sticker thing look authentic?

It was probably just made by a third party for Nikon. I don't think I would worry about that too much. Unless the hologram sticker looks fake - then you might have been ripped off.
 
If it works, and holds its charge as well as the original...I wouldn't be worried.
 
If it works, and holds its charge as well as the original...I wouldn't be worried.
I would be pretty pissed if I paid OEM prices for 3rd party equipment. 3rd party batteries are much cheaper than the OEM ones (and work just as good ;) )...


I don't think that's the case here though.
 
The stickers look pretty similar in size.

I don't want to offend anyone, but why's everyone stating that it doesn't matter if it's fake as long as it works?

Who wants to pay for a real one and get a knockoff? If anyone is fine with that PM me and I'll buy a whole supply of knockoff batteries and sell you it for Nikon prices.

:D
 
Who is "everyone"? Me? :lol: In my defence I didn't know you paid full price.

Why don't you just return it then?. And order a battery from a reputable dealer?

The timing of this is funny, as just yesterday I ordered a $5 rip off battery for my camera. You can't beat fleabay.
 
I said in my first post that I bought it from Amazon.com which IS a Nikon Authorized Reseller, so obviously I would have paid full price.....
 
Options

1: Return it if you can.

2: Call them and ask if the battery you got was a real oem Nikon battery.

3: Call Nikon and have them verify it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom