What's new

Genuine or Fake battery?

They both look like Nikon batteries to me. Nikon likely has more than one supplier for those batteries, with final assembly done in Indonesia.
 
Nikon don't manufacture batteries. Actually the vast majority of all lithium batteries are manufactured by just a small handful of sellers. If they change the packaging who cares. The facts are
1. You bought from a Nikon reputable dealer
2. You got a battery that says Nikon on it
3. You got a battery that also has the Nikon hologram sticker on it.
4. It works.

I suggest stop worrying. All batteries that didn't come with my Nikon are after market. None of them say Nikon on them anywhere, none have a holo sticker, and ironically they have all lasted longer and performed better than my genuine one.
 
I've been using aftermarket batteries for years, I find that some are better than others, but for the most part the quality is good, they last longer than the Canon batteries I use, and I can buy 4 at the same price as 1 from Canon.
 
That is a genuine Nikon battery, I just asked my girlfriend to send me a picture of one of the batteries they have at the store she works at and this is what she sent me.

dsc0035l.jpg
 
If an aftermarket battery costs 1/3 of a 'genuine' OEM, and lasts only 1/2 as long, you're still money ahead.

I have aftermarkets for both my Nikons... no problems whatsoever.
 
I called Nikon and they don't know how to verify it. This is what they said,

"I've never looked closely at a battery, so I'm not sure"
 
That is a genuine Nikon battery, I just asked my girlfriend to send me a picture of one of the batteries they have at the store she works at and this is what she sent me.

dsc0035l.jpg

Thanks. Mine looks exactly like that.
 
Useaully if an aftermarket item has the word "Nikon" on it. Most of the time it will same something like "For Nikon" "Nikon Equalivalent" etc. If they just say Nikon they can be sued for all the products they put out with the trademarked name on their product. Most likely the battery is a newer version and they made the change on the printing on the back of the battery. Like others have said, Nikon gets alot of their products from others, and some things work with other manufacturers. Just look as the bigger DSLR batteries. Nikon and Canon look nearly identical. Most likely made by the same company. Just to the different specifications.

I have used aftermarket batteries in the past. Have a couple for seldom used older camera. But I don't mind mixing name brand with aftermarket. I just watch them when I first use them to make sure everything is on the up and up. My current cameras I have just Nikon batteries in them. Just because I got a good deal on Nikon batteries. Otherwise I would have bought aftermarket ones.
 
If an aftermarket battery costs 1/3 of a 'genuine' OEM, and lasts only 1/2 as long,

This should come with a "Your Mileage May Vary" disclaimer. In a more positive note my 1/3rd cost aftermarket EL3e actually lasted longer than the genuine Nikon in the same service. After 4 years the Nikon gets about 100 shots, or 20 long exposures, while the after market still works fine.

Now that said. I have one after market battery that works just fine, however another that doesn't respond with the correct data and causes the image counter not to work so I never know how many shots the battery has on it since the last charge. I feel a bit weird asking for a specific brand of generically branded batteries :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom