Geometry

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since I bought my Sigma 70-300 f/4, I haven't been able to change the aperture when using it. Last night, I tore into the lens and made modifications that allow me to set the aperture manually (that's another post on it's own).

So, I dragged my brother and sister to a local park so I could see if it worked. What do you think? All but the first image are with that lens.

Please critique/comment!

#1 - "Breaking the rules" (taken with my Canon 18-55 kit lens)
gazebo.jpg

#2 - "Hey, it didn't come back down" (Sigma)
ball.jpg

#3 - "Karen" (Sigma)
karen.jpg

#4 - "Roadkill" (Sigma)
squish.jpg

#5 - "Hello" (Sigma)
hello.jpg

Please let me know what you think. Good bad or ugly.

What rule did you break with #1?
Is it that you didn't nail the symmetry?
I think it's important to nail the symmetry on a shot like that, cropped square. If you are going to skew it, SKEW it. Otherwise, it looks sloppy.

I love how confusing #2 is!

What rule did you break with #1?

Rule of thirds. And square cropping.

Is it that you didn't nail the symmetry?
I think it's important to nail the symmetry on a shot like that, cropped square. If you are going to skew it, SKEW it. Otherwise, it looks sloppy.

I know. I tried soooo hard, too. How the heck do you center it perfectly when you've got the camera pointed straight up and mounted to a tripod?! I was doing all sorts of contorting whilst trying to get a peek through the viewfinder. I thought I had it--unfortunately, not.

I love how confusing #2 is!

Lol. I still wonder how it got there! It's a good 10-15 feet up!

Thanks for the feedback.

The RoT doesn't really apply to squares. Squares have a whole different set of "rules" for composition.

Did you use live view to set up the shot? You didn't do too bad for the shot. Dealing with perspective like that is pretty tough, and you have to be patient and take your time. My comment was for the cropping, it's off a bit.

Hmm. Good point. No rules broken, then. :)

300D = no live view. First-gen POS, lol. Live view for me is eyeball through the viewfinder.

Hows this crop? Any better?

gazebo2.jpg

I really like what you have going there in the first one but....yeah it has to be prefect!
=)

Most reactions

Back