Get a D90 or save up some more for D7000?

Muusers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mostly take automotive pictures and I've outgrown my D40, so it's time to get a new body. So what should I do, a D90 now or a D7000 in 4-5 months?

D7000 isn't much more expensive then the d90...I'd go for the d7000

I'm not interested in the video function, so that difference doesn't matter. But I like the fact that the D7000 has more focus and more centered focus points, the better sensor (since I also take pictures of racing cars at night), more mega pixels so "better" croppable, lower magnification etc. Just wondering if this all will be worth the almost double price.

Whether it worths it or not is a really personal choice. Different persons have different priorities. But I think you really want the D7000, otherwise, you will not be asking. It seems that you are looking for confirmation. :)

If that is the case, go ahead and wait for the D7000.

You may want to wait until there are some detailed reviews of the D7000 before you decide.

I had a d60, took many automotive pics, a d7000 is something I'm getting my hands on as soon as it's out. I love the feel off the d90 but the d7000 I said to be a lot better with the magnesium body, more thicker rubber for grip. By the look at things and what you want, a d7000 will fit you perfectly

i would get a d90 and put the 300-400 towards some lens.
the d90 is a really nice camera performs really well.

with the d7000 your still need one expensive manual focus fixed lens to have the video worth it.
i dont even used my d90 for video, it sucks
depends on what you do with the camera, sometimes a magnesium body isnt neccessary.
the d90 price is probably going down a little bit once the d7000 is out and youll find incredible deal on used body because people will upgrade..

between the d90 and the d7000, i dont know. wait for the review and the comp reviews to see what this camera really put out

Last edited:
It sounds like you would benefit from the new features of the D7000 so I would go for it. Considering the history of the D70, D80, D90 line I would not hesitate to get the D7000 (I wont be).

Allan

I'd save for the D7000. Better ISO is worth it alone. Plus you can use AIS lens on it and it will meter. Few hundred buck more is totally worth it considering the upgrades you would get with the D7000. Even though there's no review of one so far, but judging from Nikon history of great cameras, I'm sure this one is not any different.

I dont think you'd see the difference between the two.

I vote for D90 + lens upgrades. Even waiting for the D7000 to be released and getting a better deal on the D90

I am facing same issue like this but for me I am just waiting for its release on market so I can get the D7000.... but but but?

Is this camera any good and can help you do better work (images?)? or just stick to D90 and upgrade for lense?

the camera will not help you make better images. People have made amazing stuff from much much older cameras.

If there is nothing in the camera tht you can say you need to improve your photography, then it is not worth buying

....the d7000 I said to be a lot better with the magnesium body....
I hate to pop your bubble, but the D7000 does not have a magnesium-alloy body.

All it has is magnesium-alloy top and back covers.

From NikonUSA.com
Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers....

I am facing same issue like this but for me I am just waiting for its release on market so I can get the D7000.... but but but?

Is this camera any good and can help you do better work (images?)? or just stick to D90 and upgrade for lense?

i have to say the lens.
Ive been shooting with my 50mm for a while and i got a 24-70 2.8 last friday and that lens made a **** tons of difference in my photography, even if i am still using the same body. i wanted to get a d700 but i am so dumping the money on a 70-200 vrii and a 85mm instaid

i am deffinetly going to think 50 times before dumping alot of money into a body instaid of a lens.
for what i do now, iso performance on the d90 is way enough for my taste.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back