Get rid of flaming red ears?

BigG123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, first time on the forum and I just have a small question. I have a picture of myself (below) and as you may see, it's a decent photo except my ears are extremely red. How can I get it so my ears dont look like they're about 500 degrees? I do have photoshop and tried toying around with the setting with no avail, so if any of you experienced phototographers could give me some tips (or even fix it for me) it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

wpgyr.jpg

There a re quite a few ways to handle this one. I chose the following technique...

1) Create duplicate layer
2) Image - Adjustments - Hue & Saturation - Chose Reds and desaturate by 20ish

At this point the whole image has less red, no good, so I...

3) Added Black Layer mask
4) Painted white on the layer mask over the ears with a soft brush at 15% opacity
5) Lowered layer opacity to 75

I did not want to select the ears, I just ended up painting a less red copy of the ears over the redness. Since this image is backlit, red ears are normal, so I left a little red in them. I also added a little bump in contrast.

wpgyr by Phil's Photography, on Flickr

Certainly the ears are red, but you don't mention the blown out top of your head, which is just a bad, if not worse. DIFUSSER..... that is the watchword. A (large) difusser will soften the incoming light source in this instance....... a one and a half stop minimal. You're probably looking at at least a 6'x8' for this situation. In additional to the difusser, you'll also want a reflector to brighten the subject's front-side (face) from the back lighting.

There a re quite a few ways to handle this one........
I've only read a few of Phil's replies and it sounds as they may be resurrecting in post mostly the dead. If pre-production is attended to, these types of efforts may be lessened or unnecessary. Nothing against Phil, he obviously knows a thing or two, it's just that I don't bother all that much with intrinsic post production stuff. Again, nothing pointed to those that do a lot of post production. Color me lazy.

Just dodge the ears a little bit at like 18%

Kundalini,

I couldn't agree with you more on getting it right at the time of the shoot. It makes all the difference in the world on the photograph. It doesn't look to me like a fill flash was used on this image. To the photographer, if you do not have lighting equipment or reflectors you should make a trip to a Hobby store. Get one of those foam core poster boards and reflect light onto your subject. Photography is all about capturing light!

How do you overcome it when you are taking the photography? Not any post-production though.

How do you overcome it when you are taking the photography? Not any post-production though.

Read this again....

Certainly the ears are red, but you don't mention the blown out top of your head, which is just a bad, if not worse. DIFUSSER..... that is the watchword. A (large) difusser will soften the incoming light source in this instance....... a one and a half stop minimal. You're probably looking at at least a 6'x8' for this situation. In additional to the difusser, you'll also want a reflector to brighten the subject's front-side (face) from the back lighting.

You can use a diffuser.

You could always just add more hair.

Jj1fQ.jpg

;)

If you want to PM the original to me, I can try to get the redness out.. then explain what tools/techniques I ended up using.

You could always just add more hair.

Jj1fQ.jpg

;)

If you want to PM the original to me, I can try to get the redness out.. then explain what tools/techniques I ended up using.

:lol: Thanks for the chuckle!

Hey guys, first time on the forum and I just have a small question. I have a picture of myself (below) and as you may see, it's a decent photo except my ears are extremely red. How can I get it so my ears dont look like they're about 500 degrees? I do have photoshop and tried toying around with the setting with no avail, so if any of you experienced phototographers could give me some tips (or even fix it for me) it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

wpgyr.jpg
ear_desat.jpg

How I did it:
  1. Create Hue/Saturation layer.
  2. Mask off all but way red parts of the ears.
  3. Desaturate to taste (I went to -50 for this).

Most reactions

Back