Getting Manual Focus in Focus.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's a simple question really---on modern DSLRs, how can you tell if your manual focus is in fact in focus?

On my old Minolta film camera, you could determine if you were in focus with a manual focus lens by seeing the cross hairs come to a perfect "X" over your focus point. On a DSLR (I shoot with a D90), I do not see such an "X" in the viewfinder.

So, how can I tell if I'm in focus when doing it manually, other than how it looks to my eye which is often not in perfect focus.

Thanks.

On my canon I have a light that blinks in the view finder and an audible beep once subject is in focus. Does this when I manual focus too.

Press the shutter button half way while focusing. The focuspoints should light up when they are in focus.

Yes, you have the little lights, but I've found that the lights are accurate to within a "range". For narrow DOF, the range is often not accurate enough... I upgraded my focusing screen to one with a split prism, surrounded by a microprism ring, surrounded by a coarser matte than the stock screen. Makes all the difference in the world, and I don't even wait for the lights anymore. I got mine from focusingscreen.com, but there are a few aftermarket brands around.

Other than what has been mentioned already, you may be able to change the focusing screen on your camera and put one in that has a split prism. I think that might make using autofocus more difficult though...

Nikon's green focus confirmation dot system is extremely accurate. If you want to be able to visually confirm manual focus by looking at the viewfinder screen's image, an aftermarket focuing screen like the KatzEye (or other) coarser-ground screen makes visually evaluating the focus MUCH easier than the newer-style, smoother-ground, brighter screens designed for Autofocus use. A screen designed for manually ascertaining best focus is much different from one optimized for autofocusing use. Unless you're willing to spend some fairly serious coin, the best thing to do is to read up on, and practice with, the focus confirmation system that your specific camera has.

Back when, lens focus rings allowed for finer adjustments compared to today's cameras.

Add the fact the mirror is only 50% transparent today (so the other 50% of the light can go through to the secondary mirror and then down to the auto focus module in the bottom of the camera), and the pentamirror both the D40 and D90 use instead of a pentaprism do not deliver as big nor as bright a viewfindeer image, and manual focusing acurately can be a challenge.

With the D90, you could put it in Live View mode, zoom into your focus point on the LCD, and manually focus off the rear LCD, and then check the viewfinder 'in focus' indicator.

Press the shutter button half way while focusing. The focuspoints should light up when they are in focus.

Well, I'll be darned! I never knew that! Thank you so much for the info! Now I do not have to rely on my crappy eye! Awesome!

Great thread. Thanks for all the information. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back