Getting new camera need advice

allanso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have recently become very interested in photography and I have been saving up to buy a very nice camera. I already have an old canon DOS from like 2001 with a lot of lenses and stands. so my question is what camera should I buy now. Should i go for something more compact like the sony nex5 that has a great shooting power in size. or should i upgrade my old canon DOS to a newer one. Btw i am going on a trip to greece later this year so whatever camera i buy i am also planning on bringing with me to take lots of pictures.

What do you mean by a 'DOS' camera? If you have a bunch of Canon equipment (lenses, specifically) I would definitely go Canon.

You need to decide what camera's best for you. Don't ask the internet...
Read a crap-ton of reviews, get your hands on some to get the feel of them, decide what's best in your price range.

If you want me to decide for you... spend $2500 on a 5dm2 body. That's too much? Then spend $1300 (or whatever they cost) on a 7D. Still too much? Get the T2i, it's decent and it's only $800 for the body.

What do you mean by a 'DOS' camera? If you have a bunch of Canon equipment (lenses, specifically) I would definitely go Canon.

Probably meant to type "EOS' --- twice?

The Canon 500D is a good camera but to me its not really for photographers (for me anyway) cos IMO Canon have been putting more time on the video capability side and lesser on the picture side with the 500D. The 40D is a great camera. Its one of the best cameras to come out from Canon IMO. The price is well worth it and it works well with L lenses like the 24-70L. Plus they'll be getting cheaper because they've stopped manufacturing it. Thumbs up for the 40D and the size of it is good also. Fills the hands nicely and the weight is good cos if your using a long lens, it balances out nicely.

Dude get the Nikon D7000.

Its so sexy, it makes a Canon guy like me suggest that you buy it...

I have recently become very interested in photography and I have been saving up to buy a very nice camera. I already have an old canon DOS from like 2001 with a lot of lenses and stands. so my question is what camera should I buy now. Should i go for something more compact like the sony nex5 that has a great shooting power in size. or should i upgrade my old canon DOS to a newer one. Btw i am going on a trip to greece later this year so whatever camera i buy i am also planning on bringing with me to take lots of pictures.

"Canon DOS from like 2001"...is that a hilarious Freudian slip, or an inadvertent commentary on Canon engineering? Hmmm:sexywink:

Most reactions

Back