Getting people to buy my equipment.

I'm wondering what lenses you are going to use out of kit not much choiceand not great lenses what will you do when it get to dark for your D40

I think your equipment list is a bunch of stuff you dont need. More to a wedding than portraits. Just get a good flash and diffuser and a decent fast lens like a 16(17 or 18)-50mm f/2.8. Its your brother. How about having him rent you a lens and flash for the day and then just sell him prints. Sounds like you made a bucket list of very un-practical crap.

That is a retarded shopping list for a wedding. You clearly have no clue what you're doing.

For someone of your experience and skill level, your shopping list should look like this:
Rent a D300/700/3 and a fast lens
Buy a speedlite and a lightsphere or some other small modifier
Rent a second speedlite to put on your current camera, which you'll need as a backup
Buy a couple large-capacity memory cards

If you were feeling very adventurous, you could rent a Q-Flash or a Lumedyne, and buy a light stand + softbox-umbrella thing + bracket.

Last edited:
... not to mention getting care for 30 snakes, 2 dogs, 4 cats, 3 geckos, and god knows how many mice...

Didn't I see you on a recent episode of animal hoarders? :lmao:

Seriously, though, you're going the completely wrong route worrying about a bunch of off-camera flash equipment when you don't even have the on-camera situation handled. (Disclaimer: I've never shot a wedding)

Your best bet, assuming you go through with the job, might be to get a speedlight and spend all the time you have working on on-camera flash portrait techniques. Your shots of the ceremony will suffer from slow lenses and your camera's limitations and don't have a great chance of being exceptional but portraits are a different story. You'll just need to invest a lot in AA batteries with this approach or get an external rechargeable battery,

Is it just me or is the statement a bunch of jumbled words that makes no real sense at all. I have never had a problem with low light using my 50mm and my D40.
I'm wondering what lenses you are going to use out of kit not much choiceand not great lenses what will you do when it get to dark for your D40

I hope it is clear I have no clue what I am doing. Atleast if people see that they can help me. I have already previous to this post here have decided to go with only the strobe. I would love to know why my D40 is not good enough. I just did a concert with it and a strobe I borrowed and got expression, action, and motion in poor light with extreme satisfaction from the band and one of them is a photographer.

That is a retarded shopping list for a wedding. You clearly have no clue what you're doing.

For someone of your experience and skill level, your shopping list should look like this:
Rent a second speedlite to put on your current camera, which you'll need as a backup

If you were feeling very adventurous, you could rent a Q-Flash or a Lumedyne, and buy a light stand + softbox-umbrella thing + bracket.

D40 is fine but having two cameras, one with long lens and one with short fast lens would be better. Also shoot on many smaller cards not a few large. If one takes a dump you dont want to lose everything.

Just wondering. Since it brought up in the past that wedding photographers may not be able to use any flash at a particular time in a particular place. So fast lens is a better option (along with high ISO camera)

Able to autofocus is also better especially when DoF is narrow when aperture is open wide. (Especially with DSLR)

Again, I am no pro nor had any wedding photography experience. But I really think a fast zoom is needed as well as multiple camera bodies/lenses/memory cards/batteries/flashes...

I hope it is clear I have no clue what I am doing. Atleast if people see that they can help me. I have already previous to this post here have decided to go with only the strobe. I would love to know why my D40 is not good enough. I just did a concert with it and a strobe I borrowed and got expression, action, and motion in poor light with extreme satisfaction from the band and one of them is a photographer.

No flash allowed in most churches in the UK so you would be up **** creek, also i can't believe you would ask for payment or gifts from your brother, must be a very close family

I think its fair and yes you do need a exposure meter the in camera ones are not nearly as good

I was told to go get a shopping list so that is what I did. I never realy asked for anything. I don't have money for anything right now so if someone tells you to get a shopping list then why not seize the opportunity. The list is not just for running around getting pictures in a dark church. The request from my Brother is to have portraits done before the wedding. I went to the camera shop and talk to the guy there and the list is the result of his advice.

No flash allowed in most churches in the UK so you would be up **** creek, also i can't believe you would ask for payment or gifts from your brother, must be a very close family

In camera light meters only measure reflected light. It can be helpful to measure both incident and strobed light. Many handheld meters can measure all 3 reflected, incident, and strobed.

My sekonic 758DR does better than any camera I have ever seen, no matter the price. Yes you can get buy without it, but expect to make more corrections. Everyone has there own style, but I find when I want the most accurate metering, nothing beats Sekonic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back