What's new

Gettysburg from my point of view

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
3,032
Reaction score
168
Location
San Diego, CA (RB)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just visited this historical battlefield and was inspired by it. Standing on the same ground where those soldiers fought, with 51,000 of them losing their lives, was intense. Looking out over these fields and boulders in some cases (Devils Den), it was hard to imagine such an expanse covered with fallen soldiers, to a point where you couldn't see the ground. I researched the subject and found photos from the same areas taken just after the battle in 1863. I was able to find some of the same landmarks in the photos I took, which really connects it for me.

For the photos... I don't think you can really capture the battlefield with a standard photo, so I found myself shooting Panos to encompass more of the scene as you would see it there in real time.

Cemetery Hill
1239151485_MzZJ3-X3.jpg


Cemetery Hill
1239166094_m3YBH-X3.jpg


Same
1240425853_729Ag-XL.jpg


Little Round Top with Devils Den Below
1239167358_9Fuwm-XL.jpg


Tree from the "Angle" as related to Picketts Charge


Big/Little Round Top on the right, Wheatfield, Peach Orchard, Pitzer Woods, High Water Mark, etc.. all there.
1241231248_qJepc-X3.jpg


Thanks for looking.
Gettysburg Battlefield - Dominant Photography-- Brandon Fischer
 
Last edited:
Nice shots. These shots have planted some seeds in my head. I will be taking a trip to gettysburg next week. I live less than 30 miles from the place and only been there once.
 
The third one is such an artistic perspective, but of course, all of them are excellently captured. The effect you applied added depth to your images. Keep on posting.
 
Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

You will find the place is filled with miles of opportunity. I could not hope to try and capture the feel of the town within a single day, or even weekend. From the historic buildings with bullet holes and cannon shells still in them, to the miles of battlefield, its pretty amazing/ expansive.
I shot most of these with a 50mm, but if I had to pick a lens to go back with it would probably be the 24-70.
Also if you can find one of the locals dressed in period wear to give you a candid style portrait, that would be pretty awesome. I found some in town, but not near where I was taking photos.

For lunch I recommend the Tavern at the Dobben House, established in 1776, it's incredible as well.
 
Loving the panoramas and the third pic of the cannon. Nicely done.
 
Very evocative. Nothing like my type of photo, but I really like these.
 
Ver nice I've been trying to head up there myself for a weekend, nice photos
 
They work nicely as a set. These have great selling potential.
 
Wow, I really appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure how others would feel about the processing, but I felt it made sense more than my color samples.
Like I had mentioned, I was pretty inspired by the place and found myself just on auto pilot with my camera in hand.

Here is another shot I took of a friend who went with me. Background on the image is, this is shot from the Virginia Memorial (Robert E Lee Statue) on the Confederate side facing the union line. He is from the south and has a family history of military service. So this is where the rebel army began their famous charge, down that path to the union line. So I had him sort of begin the walk.

Does it work? His wife is into photography, so I don't want to send him home with a bad photo lol
1239134363_NFDP6-L.jpg



Here is a clear view of the Lee Statue/Virginia Memorial from the Union line. The soldiers that came out of that tree line stretched over a mile wide if you can imagine that. That would be one big wall of people from as far as the eye can see, coming towards you.

1243966978_RGJTR-XL.jpg
 
Your panoramas capture not only the vast scope of the battlefield, but its haunting desolation, as well. Sepia was the right choice.
 
Love the pano's and the last one you posted right above.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom