Ghost Town on the Prairie

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Inspired by this thread by Azriel, me and a group of local Winnipeg photographers visited Ste. Elizabeth, a tiny ghost town an hour south of here. (For anybody interested, here's all the info on the place.)

Some of my favourite images...

1. Odilon Desaulniers' Home (the main residence left in town) shot from the side

2. A view from the top floor of the home

3. Nature and architecture coexisting in peace

4. Tire swing beside the church

5. A bullet-dented road sign

Link to full gallery

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
Nice , thanks for sharing!

Creepy are you going to do a blair witch project sleep over? :p
Thank you, glad you like! We didn't do a sleepover, but we did stay well past midnight for starscape/startrail shots. Mine didn't come out as I expected, but it was fun nevertheless.

I really love the first two. I especially like the second. I think the blending of textures I find really interesting. The similarities are great too. Under most circumstances this image would probably seem too busy. but here, the texture on the window sill and the trees blends together in such a way that its almost as if the house is returning to the nature it came from.

The first one just looks great.

All very good. #1, 2 and 5 are my faves. The lighting in #5 is awesome :thumbup:

Toss up for me for favorite between #3 and #4. Love the peeling cracking paint with the OOF background in the window and the plant coming in the window. Like the colors of #4 and the image of what it might have been in the past.

By the way, #5 is now nominated for July.

Hi Federico!

I didn't get "creepy" from any of these... however...

2nd and 3rd are really pleasant. I LOVE the 3rd one. Love the weed/whatever creeping in. Colors are great on both and you captured interior and exterior, which is often hard... fill flash?

The last one? :lol: AWESOME. It's funny, and the composition is awesome, and the colors and lighting are fantastic. Is that an HDR? How did you do that?

As always, great shots. Thanks for sharing them!

I especially like the second. I think the blending of textures I find really interesting. The similarities are great too. Under most circumstances this image would probably seem too busy. but here, the texture on the window sill and the trees blends together in such a way that its almost as if the house is returning to the nature it came from.
I'm glad you were able to see all of that in #2. I could lie to you and say that I loaded the image with symbolism and cryptic messages, but the truth is I just saw something beautiful that shouldn't have gone overlooked, then framed, and shot. I'm a sucker for texture, so there was no way on earth I was going to pass up on this one :) This image is by far my favourite of this photoshoot and also one of my personal favourites of the year.

By the way, #5 is now nominated for July.
Thank you very much! (Not that it has any chance against the competition this month, but the nomination still means a lot to me.)

I didn't get "creepy" from any of these... however...

2nd and 3rd are really pleasant. I LOVE the 3rd one. Love the weed/whatever creeping in. Colors are great on both and you captured interior and exterior, which is often hard... fill flash?

The last one? :lol: AWESOME. It's funny, and the composition is awesome, and the colors and lighting are fantastic. Is that an HDR? How did you do that?
No creepiness intended :) It was a hell of a beautiful day and we arrived in town two hours before sunset. The light was just surreal, and the sky was a gorgeous blue with spongy white clouds. I wouldn't know how to come up with something creepy under those circumstances.

I still haven't tried HDR, and I rarely ever use fill flash –I guess I'm an available-light kind of guy. I did, however, use fill flash in numbers 2, 3, and 4 –they wouldn't have been possible without it.

For number 5 I exposed for the sky, then light-painted the sign with a flashlight.

Thanks bpetruzzo, Troy, Dmitri, mooimeisie, and Chris!

The two thru the windows - imo very cool.

Nice! Creative approaches and aside from my knowing it would have been hard to get those shos, it wasn't obvious how you had done them. Awesome work.

Nice! Creative approaches and aside from my knowing it would have been hard to get those shos, it wasn't obvious how you had done them. Awesome work.

^^ this. I never would have guessed the sign was lit that way.
I'm gonna have to start carrying a flash light around with me :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back